Chapter Thirty-Four: Masked Detachment

When the meeting with the Fearbringers started, Jay perched herself as far away from Zelda as she possibly could. Since there were so many people that had to be present for the encounter, they had decided to take to the innermost room of the castle. In other words, they were in the indoor training grounds, and magic was being used to keep anybody from the outside from eavesdropping on the conversation. After all, this was one conversation that they couldn't afford to have anybody listening in on. If Alba knew that they were aware of where they were hiding, then it was impossible to doubt that they would flee from their current hiding place. 

Zelda cleared her throat from her place at the front of the room. Jay could have sworn that she saw the woman's eyes scan over the area briefly, but she forced herself to not think about it. A voice in the back of her mind whispered that this was because Zelda was searching for her for some reason or another, but that was the last thing Jay wanted to acknowledge, so she did her best to not think about it. 

"We've managed to uncover the place where we believe Alba to be hiding," she announced. "We think that they are hiding far from the eyes of the public in a cave that is made up almost entirely of ice. Nobody has thought to investigate previously because of how ominous it appears to be. The temperature drops far below the natural climate of Skylia in that area, and the locals have said that they don't want to step on the toes of the person who lives there."

"From what we have gleaned, it is clear to us that Alba appeared here roughly two decades ago. Ever since then, strange lifeforms have been seen moving in and out of the area, but nobody has dared to look into them. As far as I'm concerned, it would be safe to assume that these odd creatures are the ice beasts that Alba has been using to make an army of personal soldiers," Tavi said next. 

Jay nodded to herself, allowing her eyes to close briefly. Alba had likely sent Cryai after Ronan before that, and since they had him looking out for one of the Skylian Mages, they thought that they were safe from being stopped by the designated Hanilia faction of Skylia. That was their mistake though. Jay had managed to get through their defenses alongside Arian and Lana, saving Ronan's desert home from any further harm. 

"Let's go and see what we can do to stop them then," came the strong voice of Jayler. "You know, as soon as we've prepared and all of that. The last thing that we want is to rush in when we aren't ready to fight back, and that could easily cause a disaster for all of us. Just say the word when the time is right, and you can consider all of us on your side."

"I'm going to have a lot of thinking to do in the near future about what comes next," Tuila announced after clearing her throat. "I'm still uncertain as to what the best course of action will be, but we'll keep everything in mind to the best of our ability. I'm looking forward to stopping Alba from enacting their planned reign of terror against Skylia, but I know that we have to be ready. If we go in without the proper preparations being completed, then we're bound to find ourselves in a world of hurt. Until we can go and get rid of Alba, everybody has to stay as safe as possible. No taking unnecessary risks. Stay within the boundaries of the castle for as long as you can. Do you understand?"

"Of course," came the voice of Lana from the front of the group. She politely raised her hand, and Jay frowned to herself. "I do have to wonder though... Do you have any plans as of now? Do you need help with coming up with a strategy to stop Alba with? I would be more than delighted to aid you if that's the case. I like to believe that I know what I'm doing on that front."

"I'll have you help me out with it," Tuila nodded in response. "It's not going to be easy for us to come up with everything given the circumstances. It would be ideal if we could lure Alba away from the scene of the cave. If they're in that area, then they're going to have the advantage inherently. Nothing is going to be able to stop them from using the advantage that comes with being in their home domain, and we aren't going to be able to stand a chance if that's the case."