Chapter Thirty-Seven: Playing Highly

When the Fearbringers came back with new information, it did what all new pieces of knowledge seemed to do within the palace. It spread rapidly and excessively, and soon enough, everyone who had ever set foot in the castle since its renovation was in on the theory regarding what it was that Alba was seeking. This was ultimately for the best, and everyone was aware of that, but that did little to ease the consistent sensation that all of this was unsettling to imagine. 

The Clan Leaders weren't there that day, though that was to be expected given the circumstances. It was a weekday, and on top of that, Lex and Jayler had been quick to proclaim that they had a huge test that they had to take care of the following afternoon, so their time had to be dedicated to studying. Lana figured that this had to be a big deal for them given how regularly enthusiastic both Jayler and Lex were about coming to Hyperion. If it was something that had earned a concerned reaction even from them, then it was certainly something of note, and she figured that it would be best if they were left to take care of it the way that they requested. 

Lana had to admit that recent events had given her quite a bit to consider. All that had unfolded with Alba sat poorly with her, and she found herself needing time to think over everything to try and find a way to rationalize it. Alba was clearly attempting to play the role of some higher power in a way to try and become stronger, and Lana didn't like it in the slightest. It felt like a personal grudge to have, but Lana felt its pull nonetheless, and it was nearly impossible for her to escape from. 

Her relationship with life created in ways aside from natural means was complicated, to say the least. It wasn't as if Lana had been formed as a living creature the way that others had been. It was clear as could be given the fact that Lyloc had been the one to forge her so long ago, and Lana had taken to creating other artificial beings, robots, on her own time after she became the mistress of the City of Steel. She should have had a positive outlook on the concept, all things considered, and yet, Alba existed. 

Alba's boldness in creating so many falsified beings surprised and upset Lana, she had to confess. It felt twisted to see someone misusing their power in a way that had always touched Lana's heart in ways that she struggled to articulate. Alba was playing the figure of a god, and in a way, it made Lana wonder if there was any way that others were better on that front. It was a tricky subject that certainly required deliberation on her end. She was going to have to put much thought into the matter, and she hated that fact. 

Cryai would linger in Lana's mind forever. That much she was sure of. He was an artificial creature made of Ice magic, the most advanced of Alba's group. He might as well have been immortal given the knowledge that Lana had on him. He was a mystery to her, and Alba was the only one with the knowledge that would answer Lana's inquiries. Alba was creating an army of artificial creatures to carry out their bidding, and the beings in question were seemingly monsters at a first glance. Cryai was the most human of the bunch, but even so, he could scarcely be considered more than a puppet executing Alba's will under their distant instructions. 

Lana was sitting in her room of the castle when she pressed her face into her hands and let out a heavy sigh. Alba's actions were frustrating, to say the least, and she wished that there was an easier way for her work through her thoughts on the matter. If Lana was being honest, she had been procrastinating on offering judgement ever since she first heard about what Alba was capable of, but the recent revelation made her feel as if she had to provide a response sooner rather than later. 

The concept of artificially created life had existed in Lana's life from the instant that she was completed. She was the first of many, and she would not be the last. Jubilee, Colt, and Arian were proof of that much, and that meant that most of her team fell into the same category as the creatures made by Alba by some twisted, detached sense of heavenly design. Lana didn't think that any of them were deserving of attachment to such a concept, and it made her almost nauseous to think about if she concentrated on the subject too much.