Chapter Thirty-Five: Human and More

Give it time. 

That was the primary piece of advice that Lex had managed to gather from her various conversations with others about what to do regarding Zelda. It was something that nearly everybody seemed to tell her in some way or another, and she was used to hearing it. The Clan Leaders had said as much, and when she danced around the matter while speaking to her mother on the subject, she had given the same piece of advice. Lex hadn't been able to fully elaborate about the truth of what was happening with Zelda as far as her mother was concerned, but she still received the same advice of taking a step back and trying to process her thoughts on the matter before she made any large decisions. 

Of course, there were a few flaws with this line of reasoning. Lex still hated the idea of simply 'giving it time' because of how much time was starting to nag at her. She liked to think of herself as a patient person, but there was only so much pressure she could take before her resolve began to bend and then finally bow at the hands of the truth that Zelda had presented to her. She knew that she had all the time that she needed to come up with a proper response to Zelda's actions, but that barely made it easier for her. Zelda was going to be patient with her, yes, but there was only so much that patience would be able to do for her. 

As Lex sat on her bedroom back on Earth, she tossed a small ball back and forth between herself and the wall. She had come to pass the time over the years by simply throwing this small toy around when she needed something to focus on aside from the screaming inside of her own head. She was glad that she had perfected the angle and force needed to throw the ball years ago, and it meant that she was able to go on autopilot as she waited for everything to happen around her. She could think while still giving herself a little something extra to do, and Lex hadn't noticed how valuable that was until it was too late. 

She finally caught the ball after throwing it around for what felt like about fifty repetitions. She let out a sigh as she shook her head to herself. This was a disaster as far as Lex was concerned. She had to give it time. That was what everyone had told her, but Lex didn't know how much time she would be able to spare to something like this. Even if their fight against Alba didn't happen for another two months yet or something outrageous like that, it didn't matter much to Lex. The subject would continue to weigh heavily on her shoulders, keeping her from ever feeling truly relaxed or safe. She knew herself well enough to say conclusively that her paranoia was going to keep her from functioning normally, and there wasn't much that she could do to make it go away until she got over herself and just talked to Zelda. 

Of course, that was much easier said than done. Lex didn't think that she would be able to forgive Zelda for all that had happened on a closer level than what she had previously. Talking to Zelda as a distant comrade who she rarely interacted with was one thing, but being forced to interact with Zelda on a regular basis because of their shared blood was another beast that Lex didn't thinks he was ready to tackle yet. In fact, part of her doubted that she would ever be truly ready to embrace something like that. The mere idea made her feel nauseous in a way that she struggled to describe. When she hadn't known the truth of her connection with Zelda, it had been easy to keep the woman at arm's length. After all, there was nothing to be lost or gained if she kept her distance, but all of that had since fallen apart because of the revelation that Zelda had given to her. 

This wasn't Lex's way of saying that she wished she had never found out in the first place. In fact, she was happy that she knew the truth. It was best to know and simply have to cope with the knowledge than to be completely ignorant as far as Lex was concerned, though this was a thought process that not many expected to hear from her given her outlook on the world. However, not even all the optimism in the world would be able to keep Lex from her curiosity, and she prayed that she would be able to figure something out so that this would be less of an issue.