Chapter Two: Rumors of Return

Jayler was the last one to slip into his seat at the lunch table the Clan Leaders had come to frequent over the course of the past few weeks. The other five were already there waiting for him. Ocean was reading a book quietly while Luke took a large drink from his water bottle. Lex was tapping her fingers mindlessly against the table's surface while Gemini and Xia focused on eating. All of these activities came to a halt as soon as Jayler made his appearance. 

"I want to go back," Jayler said first and foremost, his voice rather blunt. 

"We all know," Gemini told him with a small, satisfied smile. "You're not the only one looking forward to heading back to the Galaxy of Hyperion. A few weeks have passed, and I'm willing to imagine that things are starting to calm down back there now."

"Still, there has to be a reason that Tuila hadn't called us all back yet," Ocean pointed out. "I mean, she's a pretty logical person... Dragon person, but you know what I mean. She wouldn't drag us back if it wasn't the right time."

"I just hope that whatever is taking her so long doesn't turn out to be our problem," Xia muttered, taking another bite of her sandwich. "I've had enough of fighting for a while, and if we're going to be forced into yet another battle, I want all the resting time that I can get."

Lex let out a laugh at Xia's words. "You do have a point there... We won't know about what we're supposed to be doing next until after she reaches out to us though, so all we can do is keep being patient. I know that it's really starting to bother us all being on Earth for so long, but we're just going to have to deal with it," she declared. 

"I hate it when you're right," Luke murmured, shaking his head. "I know that there's nothing we can do realistically to make all of this speed up, but... I'm still getting all antsy. I know it's weird to miss the days of the war, but... I don't know how to describe it."

"You don't miss the war itself. You miss being able to use your powers freely," Lex concluded. 

Luke nodded. "You got it, yeah... I don't know. Holding back for so long is just making me feel so... Empty. The primary element I utilized while we were back in the Galaxy of Hyperion was Blade, and... It's not like I can just summon a little sword to calm myself when I get freaked out that it was all some kind of dream," he explained quickly. 

"I can't stop doing it, you know," Jayler piped in. "When I'm alone at night, I just... I keep doing it. One second, I'm trying to fall asleep, but the next, I'm trying to summon another small flame. Looking at it calms me down. It's not something I ever would have expected, but... When I use my magic, I have to focus completely on the fire I'm making so that it doesn't flicker out. The censor on magic around here is no joke."

"You're certainly right there," Gemini sighed with a shake of her head. "I'm missing Daragon just as much as the rest of you are. The entire time we were there, the natural magic of the planet was fueling me, and back here... I'm just realizing how polluted Earth is in comparison. I want to go back there, even if it's just for a little while, to breathe in some of that fresh air again."

"Hopefully, we'll be able to go there for a little bit longer than a short while," Ocean grinned, though it was clear she wasn't entirely convinced of the reality behind her words. "I want to see how everyone is doing... Oddly enough, I even find myself missing the princess."

Xia let out a harsh bark of a laugh. "Yeah, that is weird. Last I remember, she was one of the most unpleasant people I've ever interacted with. I would be perfectly content to never see her again. No amount of desperation would ever push me that far," she commented. 

"Still, I can't exactly blame Ocean for feeling that way. We're all getting antsy and excited for when we'll get the chance to go back, and it's about time that Tuila reaches out to us," Lex said firmly, a frown knit tightly on her features. "I swear, if I had any way of contacting her, I would have done it already. It's the least we deserve after all that's happened."