Chapter Forty-Seven: Battle in Ice

Alba turned slowly as soon as they realized that they were not alone, their eyes narrowing as they set their sights upon the newcomers within the cave. "I did not realize that I had company," they said simply, taking a small step toward the group of intruders. They did not make any sudden movements, undoubtedly because they were trying to ensure that their foes did not spring any attacks as soon as they saw that Alba was moving out of the ordinary. 

"You're going down, Alba!" Zephyr exclaimed, holding one hand out in the direction of their enemy with a wide grin on their face. Even in the midst of battle, they were finding a way to be optimistic, and that was something that Jayler most certainly had to give them props for. He was normally the type to jump into adventure head-on, but he couldn't stop the spread of nervous energy that rattled around in his stomach and threatened to spread at the sight of them so close. He hadn't ever been so near to Alba before, and somehow, that made the situation even more terrifying than it would have been in other circumstances. 

"Am I?" Alba questioned, glancing Zephyr up and down with their narrowed eyes. They eventually shook their head and began to walk throughout the cave. Their motions were all careful and measured to make sure that they were not attacked while they were concentrating on other matters. "You certainly do have a lot of gusto and confidence. That much I cannot deny. Not many have the guts to sneak into a place like this."

"Why do you think we're here?" Zelda asked with a slight glare forming in her eyes. "This is because we know that you cannot be allowed to roam freely. You have been responsible for too much harm over the course of the past few weeks, though it seems to extend back even farther as far as I am aware."

"You act as if you are any better than I am," Alba snorted with a shake of their head. "Were you not one of Mersall's top soldiers while you were a Fearbringer? I hardly think it's right for you to parade around your superiority and morality as if you are not just as guilty. In fact, you were partially responsible for terrorizing the planet of Daragon, but you wish to hold it above my head that I am seeking new ways to create the beauty known as life."

"What you're doing is harming innocent people. You are not the one in the right here," Lex growled at Alba. "All you do is send your monsters out and let them hurt whoever it is that just so happens to get in their way. I don't see how you get the ability to say that you're the one in the right here either, because if you want my opinion, you're even worse. You've been doing this for years, and that's not even counting the sins that you've committed through the proxy of others such as Cryai."

Alba sighed and shook their head. "Progress is hardly something that one's moral compass can dictate," they said simply. "In order for things to change, you have to be willing to push the boundary a little bit, and this is how I have chosen to do such a thing. If you have an objection to it, then that is something that you can think of on your own time. However, I know that for the time being, I am working on seeking new ways that would revolutionize this galaxy."

"But you aren't trying to do it for anyone but yourself," Jay reminded them. "The reason that you were created was because Loki wanted to destroy everything about Hyperion. Now, you aren't trying to do anything to change such a fate. All you're trying to do is hurt people more. You're going to use this army of yours to spread agony to everyone who even comes close to interfering with your wishes."

"You have not refuted my statement that progress does not come easily, you know," Alba pointed out. "I know what I said the same way that I know what I'm doing now. This has all been my decision, and if it leads me to clash with you, then so be it. I'll simply run you all through, monsters or otherwise, and call it a day. I doubt that you will even come close to being able to stand up to someone with as much experience as me."