Chapter One: Xanfall

Jay Xanfall allowed the shadows to come in close around her as she shut the door behind her. She stepped fully into the palace, swiping one arm at the air in front of her face to keep the dust from sneaking into her lungs. She cringed at the poor state of the building before creating a small orb of purple energy in one hand. It wasn't the best for illuminating the area, but Mystic magic was all she was willing to use in that moment, so the dull violet would have to do. 

When she summoned the sphere, Jay's full figure was brought into view. Her eyes were brown, somehow sharpened and numb at the same time. Her hair was brown as well, tied into a messy low ponytail that hung down to her waist. A purple marking adorned her right cheek in the pattern of a star. Jay wore a rather simple black top with short sleeves, allowing her muscular arms to be shown off easily. Her forearms bore white fingerless gloves. Jay's leggings were purple, though the bottom segments were obscured by the tall black boots that sprouted up from her feet. A brown belt was wrapped around her waist, and a single sword hung from a sheath at her hip. 

Jay coughed when some dust managed to make its way towards her, a brief curse leaving her lips at the frustration. She shook her head and poured extra energy into her palm before taking a few more steps forward. Her expression was a strange mix of reminiscence and hesitation. 

Still, Jay was careful to keep walking despite any reservations she may have had. She glanced around at the dark halls of the castle, the only light resting on her palm due to the angle of the sun not properly shining golden beams through the dirtied windows. She shook her head once again and started to concentrate further on placing one foot in front of the other. She knew what she was there for, and she was going to find it. 

The premonition had come to her in a dream, and since there wasn't anything else for her to do, Jay decided to listen to it. That was what brought her to the palace in the first place. According to her dream, there was a photo located somewhere within the heart of the castle, and if she could find it, she would have her first hint as to what she was meant to do next. She was willing to accept such with open arms given how aimless her wandering had been for too long leading up to that point. 

Jay didn't flinch when her foot collided with a stray rock sitting on the ground. Rather than examine it properly, she forced herself to continue staring forwards. Once she got distracted, she knew that she wouldn't be able to get herself moving again. If she wanted to figure out what the hell she was meant to be doing with her life, she couldn't afford to explore. Maybe she would have time for that another day. 

Jay wasn't sure what told her to take the right path when a grand staircase went in two separate directions, but she followed her instincts regardless. She was trying not to think too much about why she was there or what could possibly happen within the abandoned halls. For all she knew, someone could have secretly taken up residence in the building, and if that was the case, she was vulnerable to an ambush. Granted, anyone would have struggled to sneak up on someone like Jay, but it was still something to keep in mind. 

She didn't stop walking until she saw the desk waiting at the back of a room at the end of a lengthy hallway. Something inside of her knew what the room was without any direct signage. Lyloc's room. The first Skylian Mage and leader of the Hanilia fighters had once been within the room. Even if she had been gone for months, her magical presence still seemed to linger in the air, making the room feel somewhat alive. The purple orb on Jay's hand seemed to grow stronger, and she watched the energy crackle carefully before moving towards the desk. 

Her fingers curled under the handle of a drawer on the desk before she pulled it out. Immediately, she took to swiping at the air once again, doing whatever she could to keep from getting dust in her eyes. Jay wished that someone would have thought to keep the castle in good shape during the Daragon war. Just because people wanted to ignore this fragment of history didn't mean that it was completely obsolete.