Chapter 14: Flames

"Why did you kill Gunaseelan, My Lord?", asked Mara hesitantly.

Irungovel shrugged. They were in his chamber. Gunaseelan had been murdered last evening. The sun shone on brightly, oblivious to the dark deeds of the previous night.

That's right. Murdered. With none other than his own cronies whom he'd claimed would never betray him present.

Ha!

"That dog crossed his limits. He isn't of much use to us anyway. Killing him actually made his cronies fear me more! They said he was attacked by some robber. Ha!" He snorted. "They must have taken a good chunk of money from his house too. Scoundrels."

Mara smiled. Irungovel looked at him for a moment.

"Call the ministers to my chamber soon. I'll go meet my brother meanwhile. I want them assembled here when I return."

.........................

"I can't believe I did that!"

The Princess bit her lip, trying not to laugh. She nodded sympathetically, trying to maintain a straight face.

Poovazhagi groaned, pacing furiously. "I mean, why would I do that? Why couldn't I recognize him before? How did I miss those amber eyes! What's wrong with me?"

The Princess couldn't pretend anymore. She laughed hard. Poovazhagi scowled, pausing her furious pace. "What's so funny?"

The Princess clutched her stomach, laughing harder. Tears were streaming down her face. "You. You're funny."

Poovazhagi pouted. "I don't know what to do! I'm either always tongue-tied around him or spout utter rubbish!"

The Princess laughed some more. "The power of love, I say."

Poovazhagi glared before throwing her a smug look. "That reminds me. How's Prince Thirumavalavan?"

The Princess sighed. She wouldn't know, would she? She was yet to see him. She deflected. "I'm not speechless around him."

Poovazhagi grinned. "No, you only fight with him." She winked. "And stare at his dimple."

It was the Princess's turn to glare. "I do not."

Poovazhagi laughed. "Sure, sure. If you say so."

The Princess glared some more. "I do say so. Now, are we going to sit here all day and tease each other or can we go out somewhere?"

"I'm up for the plan if I get to be the one who does all the teasing." She caught the Princess's pointed look. "But, no." She thought hard, looking out at the sun set. "How about Lord Shiva's temple?"

The Princess's face brightened. "Great idea! Let's go!"

...................................

"So, how's the Commander?", asked Valavan playfully. They were yet to emerge from his chamber, with Valavan narrating animatedly whatever Ilanchezhiyan had missed all these days.

Chezhiyan smiled wistfully. "Homesick."

Chezhiyan looked around. His hungry eyes drank in the tall pillars, the winding corridors, the huge chambers and even the fire holders. He stored them away to cherish when pangs of nostalgia hit him.

Valavan's face softened. "You can't pass a day without seeing my pretty face, can you?", he asked, winking.

Ilanchezhiyan chuckled. "Why, yes I can't, Prince."

Valavan rolled his eyes. "I don't know when you will start calling me by my name. I'm younger than you! I'm just sixteen while you are nineteen!"