Chapter 40: The Adivasis

Alli got down the chariot first. She didn't wait for Poovazhagi to follow and walked swiftly towards the Azhundur Palace, not in the least bothered to even conceal it. Chuckling, Poovazhagi followed her, trying to match her fast pace.

Like always, the Azhundurvel was standing near the doors with a broad smile on his face. Both the girls greeted the King. Beside him, Ilanchezhiyan was standing as well, looking tired. Alli shot him a surprised look. "How come you've arrived before us, Commander?", she asked, confused.

Ilanchezhiyan smiled. "I just arrived, Princess. I came right before you did."

Alli still appeared puzzled. "Still, it shouldn't have been possible for you to come from Poompuhar this early!"

Chezhiyan chuckled. "That must be because I started very early in the morning to avoid any suspicion."

Alli finally nodded in understanding. Ilanchezhiyan turned to Poovazhagi and inclined his head. "Princess."

She inclined her head as well in greeting. "Commander."

Alli fought off a grin. Poovazhagi noticed and suppressed a sigh. After much pestering, Poovazhagi had finally relented and told her about her "midnight feast" with Ilanchezhiyan.

A fact she was regretting up to date.

The Azhundurvel waved them in. "Come on in, girls. Don't just stand there and talk!"

Alli and Poovazhagi nodded and followed him in. After inquiring about their family, he soon left. Alli looked around. "Is the Prince resting?"

"He must be practicing now", guessed Ilanchezhiyan. "The time seems about right."

Poovazhagi looked surprised. "Practicing? Isn't he supposed to be taking rest now?"

Ilanchezhiyan shook his head. "Oh, yes, he's supposed to." He sighed. "But when does he ever do what he is told to?"

Alli shot him a curious look. "How do you know where he is now? Did you not just arrive?"

Ilanchezhiyan shrugged. "He has mentioned in his letters that he practices around this time, so-"

"He's been sending you letters?!"

Chezhiyan opened and closed his mouth a few times before replying. "Yes?"

Alli gave him a forced smile. "That's great! That's absolutely great!!"

An uneasy silence ensued. Soon, they saw Vasuki arrive. She gave them a bright smile before it faltered slightly. "Have you arrived alone, Commander?", she asked, her eyes searching.

Alli saw him looking at Poovazhagi as he answered. "Yes. Both of them need to take care of Puhar while I'm away. It is for the best when arriving on the sly too."

Alli saw Vasuki's face deflate and masked the shock she felt. "Oh", was all Vasuki replied before she excused herself. Ilanchezhiyan was still looking at Poovazhagi.

"What?", she asked self consciously. He shook his head. "I only thought you might be... unhappy that the Sub-Commanders couldn't make it."

Alli hid a smirk. Poovazhagi, visibly baffled, merely shrugged. "I don't know them well enough to, really."

Chezhiyan grinned. "Ah, I understand", he replied, his grin widening. After they all stood together in awkward silence for a minute more, Chezhiyan left for his chamber to rest for a bit.

Alli looked at Poovazhagi. "What do you want to do?"

Poovazhagi stretched. "I think I'll go rest too."