Chapter 66: Battle of Venni Part I

Chezhiyan stared at him. "Truth? What truth?"

Valavan sighed. "I thought it would be a good parting note. Now, you've ruined it."

Chezhiyan shot him a puzzled look. "See, I understand that you motivated them. But, I don't understand why you did it in such a manner."

Valavan saw Alli beckoning him and motioned for Chezhiyan, eyes glinting. "Come on, I'll tell you."

As they were about to enter the tent, they saw the Shiva Lingam they had placed outside and muttered a quick prayer. Once done, they took some Viboothi and smeared it over their forehead. Then, they went in.

Alli, who had heard Chezhiyan's question, nodded. "Yes, I'd like to know that too!"

Valavan grinned. "As you all know, we have only twenty-five thousand soldiers. Did you happen to hear what they said in the beginning?"

Alli and Chezhiyan exchanged a look. "That they would lay their lives down for you?"

Valavan nodded. "And why would I want that?"

Alli's brows creased. "You don't want their loyalty?"

"I do!", cried out Valavan, indignant. "What I do not need is to have them keep exerting their loyalty to me. The fact that they are standing here is proof enough." He smiled. "Hence, I want them to be selfish."

Chezhiyan's face scrunched up. "That is the part I don't follow."

Valavan grinned. "As I had said before, I don't want them to die on my behalf. For if they all die for me, where will my army be? What am I to do with corpses?"

Chezhiyan's face cleared. Alli's was still confused though. "You could have just told them that."

Valavan shook his head. "That wouldn't have had the desired effect. They would all have agreed, yes. But, it wouldn't have meant anything." He stretched. "Now? Everyone will be thinking of their families."

Alli shot him a dubious look. "And that would prove to be advantageous?"

Valavan spread his arms. "Of course it would! Being selfless will never work in a war. Heck, even I'm being selfish here. Despite being a team effort, for us to win, everyone needs to stand on their ground and fight." He winked. "Even the Saviour needs saving at times!" 

Seeing Alli's jaw drop, he laughed. "Well, I don't want those who are supporting me to die an unnecessary death as well. It is a win-win situation."

Alli continued to gape. "When did you become so smart? I've never heard of anything like this before! It is going to be so effective!"

Valavan smirked. "I know. It is-"

"-Karikalan exclusive!", Chezhiyan and Alli chorused. They all laughed. Chezhiyan looked outside and saw that the formation was almost in place. He nudged him. "Time to go."

Valavan nodded. As they were about to, their eyes fell on Poovazhagi. She was standing by the entrance of the tent, her lips trembling. She was staring straight at Chezhiyan.

As soon as her eyes met his, it seemed as if the floodgates had opened. Tears pouring down her face, Poovazhagi came running into the tent and hugged Chezhiyan hard. Taken by surprise, he awkwardly wrapped a hand around her. "Azhagi? What's wrong?"

"You are going to leave", she sobbed. "What if you get hurt?"

Chezhiyan patted her back and chuckled. "I'm sure you'll find a nice man for yourself if I'm gone."

She beat into his chest angrily. Chezhiyan bent to whisper something to her. Taking that to be their cue, Alli nudged Valavan. He understood, giving her a single nod in response. They both left the tent. As they went into Valavan's, he turned to her, head cocked. "No teary farewells for me?"