Chapter 18: The Obsequies

The next day arose, quiet and somber. An air of desolation enshrouded Urayur, the sounds of weeping and wailing found everywhere. The brilliant brightness of the Sun seemed to have diminished somehow in contrast to the previous days. The usual chirping of the birds was nowhere to be found. The breezy wind had died down. Even nature appeared to be mourning their loss. 

Irungovel, oblivious to the suffering rampant outside the palace, frowned into the mirror. His barber stood trembling beside him in his chamber, a sharpened knife ready in his hand.

Irungovel scrutinized his face by angling the mirror in various positions. He huffed out in annoyance and shot his barber a frustrated look. "Do I look like the impending King?", he asked, pointing to his face. The barber quivered with fear. Irungovel paid him no heed. He placed his forefinger below his eyes and tugged. He looked dismayed. "I'm so hollow-eyed thanks to the utter lack of sleep last night!!" He shot the knife in the barber's hand a look filled with hatred. "In addition to that, I'm supposed to shave off my head and my beard!! I'm going to look ridiculous."

The barber stood silently, shaking like a leaf. Irungovel sighed, taking a long look at his face. He put the mirror down and turned to the barber, irritated. "Well? Has the auspicious moment that you have been waiting for arrived yet?" The barber opened his mouth. No sounds came out. Irungovel clenched his jaw. "What are you waiting for, you dimwit? Stop gaping like a fish out of the water and get to work!"

The barber instantly set to work. He shaved off his hair methodically, his movements precise. Engrossed in his job, he felt his fear dissipate. The usual calm settled in. Once done with his head, he moved on to his face. 

Snip! Snip! Snip!

The barber took a step back, admiring his work. Satisfied with his job, he nodded to himself. He handed the mirror to Irungovel, relatively more confident.

Irungovel hesitantly took it, dreading what was to appear in it. The reflection before him showed himself devoid of hair, except for his well-oiled mustache. 

He took a long look. "Can't say I look too bad, huh?"

Mara entered the chamber to check on Irungovel. As soon as Irungovel's eyes laid on Mara, he waved away his barber. The barber instantly left with a bow, trying not to look too relieved.

Mara took in Irungovel's appearance and stifled a laugh. He stiffened. 

"Find something funny, boy?"

Mara instantly wiped the smile off his face. "Not at all, My Lord." 

Irungovel nodded curtly before looking into the mirror again. He twirled his mustache. "At least I've got this."

Mara respectfully nodded. Irungovel stared into it for some more minutes before he threw it into the bed. "Oh, who am I kidding? I look hilarious. People will surely laugh at my appearance, for the hair is the pride of a man here."

Mara smiled and shook his head. "You are quite mistaken, My Lord. What difference would a little hair make? A funeral is to happen! It will grow back in no time at all." His eyes gleamed. "Besides, who would dare laugh at the King?"

Irungovel laughed. "I would say that you have the guts. You just did." Mara started to protest. Irungovel didn't notice, lost in thought. "But then again, I'm still the Senatipati. People wouldn't laugh only if it is the King." He winked. "I guess there is still time for that, after all."

Mara chuckled. "Ready to leave, Lord? Everything is prepared."

Irungovel nodded. They left his chamber together.