Chapter 17: The Dark Night

Alli screamed his name again and again until her throat gave out.

To no avail. 

She slumped down to the ground, exhausted, sweat making her clothes stick to her body.

That was how Poovazhagi found her after a long time- defeated and forlorn.

Gently, she steered the frazzled Princess towards their father's chamber. Alli went along, silent. Their father shot Alli a long look. "Where were you, Alli?"

Alli looked at her father. "The Prince ran away."

Her father looked shocked. "What do you mean?! How can he run away!"

Alli gritted her teeth. "I was talking with him when he just vanished into thin air."

Her father raised his brow at that. Alli didn't notice. She wrung her hands, utterly frustrated. "Father!", she exclaimed suddenly. He shot her a startled look. "We need to find him. We just have to find him somehow!"

Her father shot her another long look. Poovazhagi nervous eyes darted from the King to Alli, not knowing what to do. "I'm sure they will look for him here, Alli", he said cautiously. "Especially Irungovel."

Alli shot him a terrorized look. "That's just it! He won't."

The Nangurvel was baffled. "What are you talking about, sweetheart? Of course, he will! That's his nephew, the crown prince we are talking about!!"

Alli shook her head vehemently. She looked around her chamber, eyes fearful. He lost his patience. "Alli will you cut the -"

"Shhhhhhh!!"

Poovazhagi and the Nangurvel were even more puzzled. Satisfied that no one was listening, she heaved a sigh and beckoned for her father and Poovazhagi to bend forward. They did. 

"You won't believe what I'm just about to say", she whispered. 

The Nangurvel resisted rolling his eyes. "Oh? Do tell."

Alli gulped. She lowered her voice further. "The King and Queen didn't die in a fire accident."

The Nangurvel blinked. "Then?"

She cast one more fervent look around. "Irungovel killed them."

The Nangurvel looked flabbergasted. "Come now, Alli. That's just not poss-"

"The Prince told me."

The Nangurvel opened and closed his mouth a few times. Then he shook his head. "That cannot be the truth."

Alli glared. "You think he would joke about something like this? Today?" 

Her father recoiled from her tone. "That's... That's not what I meant. Maybe there is some misunderstanding." His voice trailed off. "He told that to you himself?"

Alli hesitated. "Well, no. Not in so many words." She saw her father shake his head again and hurried on. "But that is definitely what he implied."

The Nangurvel stroked his beard thoughtfully. "It doesn't add up though. I've seen it with my own eyes! I'm telling you, Senatipati Irungovel and King Ilamchetchenni loved each other very much!"

Alli shut her eyes in frustration. She took in a deep breath, ready to open her mouth to argue when her father silenced her. "No. I don't want to listen to it. This is simply too far-fetched."

Alli shot her father a disbelieving look. "You cannot be serious! Do you not believe me?" Poovazhagi placed a hand on her shoulder. She shook it off.  "Are you implying that I'm lying?"