Chapter 41: To Evade

"What in the actual-"

Valavan and Alli took in Ilanchezhiyan's shell-shocked expression and grinned at each other. Even the Azhundurvel had risen.

The Azhundurvel and Ilanchezhiyan were in the throne room, going over some manuscripts, no doubt checking their resources in case of a war. Alli and Valavan had both entered the throne room to find them without bothering to wash up.

It had the intended effect.

Valavan shrugged, his eyes gleaming. "Oh, I'm just back from my practice like every other day. What is wrong?"

Ilanchezhiyan crossed his arms across his chest. "Well, the blood? You obviously have something to tell us so quit this and spill it out!"

Beside him, Alli rolled her eyes. "Let me explain. He talks too much when he isn't supposed to."

Valavan began to protest but she cut him off. "Oh, please. I saw how you gloated in the middle of the fight so-"

Ilanchezhiyan's eyes widened. "Fight? What fight?"

The Azhundurvel shook his head, shooting him a grim smile. "Son, they are covered in blood. Blood that's is clearly not theirs as they appear hale and hearty. They were obviously fighting with someone. Or a lot of someones judging by the amount of blood covering them."

Valavan snorted. Ilanchezhiyan scratched the back of his head, embarrassed. "I'm aware of it too, My Lord. That was merely an automatic response due to the shock I'm feeling right now."

The Azhundurvel waved him off, gesturing for Alli to continue. Valavan shot him an indignant look at that. He merely smiled.

Alli continued. "Right after we reached the spot the Prince usually trains in, we were attacked by some Adivasis."

The Commander in Ilanchezhiyan kicked in. "How much does 'some' amount to?"

"Just ask how many, Chezhiya", Valavan muttered. Everyone ignored him.

"Seven."

The Azhundurvel nodded appreciatively. "That many? I'm impressed, Valava! You took care of them all single-handedly!"

Alli cleared her throat delicately. "He had help, Your Majesty."

Ilanchezhiyan looked at her, shocked. "But, Princess, you were unarmed!"

Alli smiled slightly and unstrapped the dagger at her waist. Then, she bent down to retrieve the daggers she had retied behind her legs. She had wiped them off with the dead Adivasis clothes but they clearly showed signs of blood. 

Valavan leaned towards her, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Who's showing off now?"

Alli grinned at him. "Me", she whispered lowly, just so only he could hear. "I did a much better job than you though. After all, actions speak louder than words." He shot her a glare. She just beamed at him.

The Azhundurvel cleared his throat loudly, prompting her. She continued, a sheepish smile in face. "Uh, yes. So, there were seven of them. I killed three of them, while the Prince killed the rest four."

Valavan jumped in. "Did you all hear that? Four. I killed four of them in the most glorious manner."

Alli shook her head, this time her turn to lean towards him. "There was nothing glorious about it, really. Pretty amateurish, if I had anything to say about it."

He scowled at her, about to protest, when she turned her attention back to the waiting men. Ilanchezhiyan shook his head, amazed. "I'm honestly astounded, Princess. And you, Prince! Killing four men all on your own at your injured state when you are still training is no easy task! How did you manage to do it?"