Chapter 65: The Speech

The soldier looked at his wife's tear-stricken face and smiled sadly. "Don't make this harder than it has to be, Kayal. You are the one who has to stay strong."

Kayalvizhi sniffled. "How? I do not know whether you will return!"

"Probably not", Muthu admitted. Fresh tears sprang from Kayalvizhi's eyes. He brushed them away. "I'm fighting for Irungovel of all people, dear. None of us wants him to win. For that, we are ready to face death. You know this."

"What happens of me then?", she asked in anguish. "We already lost our child. I can't afford to lose you too!"

He briefly shut his eyes. Because he had wanted his ailing child to get well but did not have any money to do so, he had reluctantly agreed to poison their beloved King years back, dreading every second of it. Thankfully, at that time, King Ilamchetchenni had not died.

His son did though.

He still blamed himself for his death, believing that it was that sin that had snatched away his four-year-old's life.

He caressed his wife's head. "At least I'd have absolved myself of that sin, Kayal. They say that those who die an honourable death in war reach heaven."

Kayal didn't stop crying.

........................

Ilanchezhiyan came out of his tent and looked around.

They were in Venni.

It had taken them four days to finally settle down and set camp in their chosen spot. Before Irungovel had set camp on the other side yesterday, they had finished perfecting their structure. All the weaponry had been safely transported as well.

In short, they were ready for the war to be held the next day. Or rather, the war that was to take place in a few more hours.

In these four days, Alli had had her birthday.

She was eighteen.

While Valavan had been happy, he could hardly believe that a year was almost up since his parents had died. In a week, a year would have been completed since their demise.

That would also mean that Irungovel's birthday was on that day.

Chezhiyan shook himself to get rid of that unpleasant thought. On a brighter note, in two months, the Prince would be eighteen too. A birthday, Valavan had commented with a smirk on his face, Irungovel wouldn't be there to attend.

Ilanchezhiyan remembered what had happened on Princess Alli's birthday.

"I'm extremely sorry, Alli!",  said the Prince with remorse. "I'll buy you a present soon as I-"

"- do not have any money now, I know", replied the Princess cheekily. "You can get me a nice gift once you become the King. Don't think I'll forget!"

And that was that. The Princess had not received any present that year. She had said the marriage alliance was gift enough.

Coming out of the memories, he looked out again and saw that none of the other soldiers was asleep. They were all pacing anxiously, discussing one thing or the other. He also saw Uttaman shouting out some final instructions to his troop. Yet another wave of guilt swathed him.

Over the past few days, he'd lost count on how many times he had apologized to Uttaman. Every single time, his response had been the same.

"I do not hold it against you, Lord", he had said with a smile. "I know that you and Lord Vikraman go way back. I understand. Please do not torment yourself over this."