chapter 5 / torch

"Don't blame me! Your stupid choices got you here!" the man laughed, intoxicated.

Johnny, who'd just been bashed upside the head with a glass bottle was on the ground in pain.

As the man continued to kick the weakened boy, he grew more angry, furious, as he stared at the man on the barstool above him.

Johnny could tell he was debating whether or not to to help him, but even if he did it'll probably just escalate the issue even more.

The man got up, as he frowned down at Johnny. Almost giving him a, 'you're on your own' look.

Frowning back, he sighed. Still drowsy, he lifted his hand and grabbed the man's bare arm, causing him to yelp in pain.

"What? Too hot for you?" he asked, snidely, and what looked to be a burn formed on the side of his arm came in sight.

Johnny stood back up, facing the man one on one, waiting for his move.

Instead, he slightly grunted and walked off, checking his shoulder to give off glares towards the young boy.

Johnny shrugged it off, this wasn't his first bar fight but it was his first bar fight with him not being the one to start it. The guy was drunk, and it was only 8 o'clock.

Taking another look at his bloody hands, and feeling the wounds on his head, he did something he'd never done before.

Walked out of the bar.

No, he wasn't escorted out, he left himself.

Johnny didn't wanna even think about what Sue would say, so before reaching the apartment, he walked along the shore for awhile, until he was sure she'd be asleep.

Heading up the stairs and quietly opening the door, he creeped through the small space, taking his place on the couch and quickly shoving the blanket over his head as soon as he heard movement from the other room.

After laying there for a couple moments, he felt the blanket being lifted off him, as he quickly flipped over onto his stomach and digging his face into the leather before he came visible.

"Johnny, don't be like that. Show me what happened." Sue said.

"Ehh- nothing happened?" he replied, unsure.

"Everyone knows you're a bad liar. And besides, you're never home this early."

"Alright, fine. But promise me you won't be mad."

Sue sighed, not necessarily agreeing, so Johnny stayed down.

"Fine, I promise." she finally said.

Lifting up, and taking a quick look at her, she gasped.

"Johnny!" she yelled, "What happened!"

"Bar fight?" he awkwardly laughed.

"Johnny-!"

"Don't worry, I won!"

"You- you're head and everything- everything is bloody! You look like you just murdered someone!"

"Well I was bashed upside the head for making another snide remark, the ones you lecture me about."

"Just-!" she stopped, and took a deep breath, as her voice became more calm, "Just come with me. We'll get you cleaned up."