chapter 7 / johnny's stupidity

"Johnny," she said sternly.

They were right in the middle of a heart-felt conversation, and he couldn't even come to look at her.

"Johnny if you keep doing this-" she sighed, and whispered a couple things to herself, "People love you Johnny. They looked up to you and wanted to be like you, a hero. Now be that hero they see. Not the drunk college dropout loser I see."

And with that, Sue left. Letting him sit there to rethink his thoughts while he continued playing with his fingers, just shaking his head.

It was somewhere around 6 am, seeing the sun was starting to rise. She felt remorseful. Maybe she was too harsh? But needless to say it was a horrible way to start off a Thursday morning.

Sue plugged in the Keurig, inserting her regular pod and water, tapping a couple buttons until it started to pour into her thermos, a warm steam starting to rise.

Slightly giving it a blow, she took a sip, then left it back on the counter for her to take later as she started her daily rounds to get ready.

Though Johnny was still fixed in the bathroom contemplating his life choices, Sue barged in and began brushing her hair, then plugging in the flattener to warm up.

After brushing her teeth and applying some makeup, she threw on a sweater and some flared jeans, making her way back into the bathroom to finish up on her hair.

Carefully running the iron through her hair, she made precise little runs, making sure each and every hair was perfectly down and even.

Realizing the time, she unplugged it and rushed to the kitchen, grabbing her keys, purse, phone, thermos, and lanyard as she went towards the door.

Opening it, she took a look back at the pouty boy that still sat in the bathroom, just staring into space.

She slowly blinked and nodded, taking a breath before whispering softly, "Bye Johnny, I'll see you later."

Not expecting a response, she left, as she heard him say, "Bye Sue."

Lightly smiling, she went down the stairs and to her car.

*

"Miss Hartsell! I'm gonna need you to deal with our..." her voice quieted, as she leant down into her ear, "Angry parent," her voice switched tones, standing back up straight, "...here. I have a meeting." she sounded demanding, but then added on, "If that's okay with you,"

"Oh, yes! It's quite alright." she kindly replied, backing out of her chair and looking at the familiar man.

He looked at her with his one eye and intimidating full black outfit.

"Sir, do I know you, you like kind of familiar?" she awkwardly smiled, slightly laughing.

"Well," he looked around, "I don't necessarily know this Allison girl, but I surely know a Susan."

She flinched at the name, "Who are you." she growled.

"My names Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm here to welcome you aboard."

"Welcome me aboard?"

"Well, you're apart of our latest project. Now get up and come with me."

"I'm sorry Director Fury, but if you haven't heard powers have been banned and people hate us. I don't know what "new project" you're talking about."

"I know, but powers aren't banned," he raised his fingers and tapped it to the side of his head, "But in here..."

"This is crazy. If you really think I'm coming with you you're a deranged lunatic that's-" she became infuriated at the sight.