Chp 1

Backing up against the wall, I closed my eyes as my cheek registered the burning pain caused by my stepfather's strong fist

Backing up against the wall, I closed my eyes as my cheek registered the burning pain caused by my stepfather's strong fist. His familiar, alcoholic smell making me shiver with disgust. I fell to the ground, my legs no longer supporting the fragile, weak body of mine. He threw a few kicks to my chest and shoulder, only making me groan in pain.

"It's not over yet," he mumbled, the sound of his footsteps becoming dimmer and dimmer. "Worthless piece of shit. Slut."

I took that to my advantage as I scanned the room to make sure he was gone. I then held onto the small table and stood up, taking a few, unsteady steps to my room.

I locked the door once I was in and took the first-aid box out. I walked to the bathroom and stared blankly at my reflection in the mirror.

Feeling disgusted by my own reflection, I looked down and washed my face from all the blood that was staining it. Once I was done, I dried my face carefully and examined the new cut that had formed on my forehead. I sighed as I applied the disinfectant.

I took my hoodie off once I was done with the wound on my face. My eyes widened for a moment before they turned dull once again. Purple welts were scattered all over my chest and shoulders.

Each one of them had a different story, a different reason that made me deserve having them according to Parker.

My piercing green eyes met their reflection in the mirror as I tucked some strands of my brown hair that were covering them behind my ear. Lifeless. A simple word that described my eyes. Dull. Another one.

I sometimes wonder if they had ever held joy in them over the past nine months. I wonder if they'd ever hold the same joy they held nine months ago. Would he be scared if he looked into them? Would he give me a lecture on how I should always smile?

"Open the fucking door!" Yelled Parker, his voice making me shiver with disgust and fear. "You pathetic coward. I said it's not over yet. Open the door or else I'll break it!"

Not wasting any more time, I put my hoodie back on and hid the first-aid box somewhere he couldn't find.

Not even a few minutes passed before the door flung open, revealing an angry Parker whose eyes were fuming with anger, rage and hatred.

"Didn't I say it was not over?" He began, making a few tears well up in my eyes.

I looked down at the floor, squeezing my eyes shut.

I hated it. I hated being weak in front of him. I hated crying because of a man who only cared about himself.

He held my chin tightly, raising my head up so that my eyes open and meet his.