Chp 10

Darkness had always been mesmerising

But the mesmerising darkness was neither the one my world was turning into, nor the one in my nightmares. It was the darkness of the sky at night. The darkness that would give the stars a chance to shine.

The darkness of my world was terrifying. It was the darkness that had always followed Parker's beatings. The one that made me think that my battle was over while it wasn't. It was the one that made me think that I'd never be able to shine in my own life.

I hated many things about myself. From the way I looked like to the way I kept on lying to my friends. But what I hated the most was my weakness in front of Parker. I hated how I had never defended myself and how I had always allowed him to beat me up. But as much as I wanted to defend myself, I couldn't, because Parker was way stronger than me.

I opened my eyes weakly, registering the small amount of light shining through the window. I tried to get up from my bed but ended up crying with pain.

Twenty minutes. That was all it took him to beat the shit out of me. And that was all it took him to give me a bunch of new bruises to hide.

I tried to take a deep breath which only caused the pain in my chest to grow.

'You have to get some painkillers.'

I got up from my bed, whimpering in pain and headed to the bathroom, deciding to change my blood stained clothes before leaving my room.

I could barely take few steps, let alone go to school.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my eyes slightly widening. My face was stained with blood and dried tears while my hair was a complete mess. Bruises were scattered all over my chest and shoulders.

I looked disgusting. Just like every other time I got beaten up by Parker. I myself couldn't look at my reflection for a long time. What would people say if they ever saw me in this condition?

Deciding not to look longer at my reflection, I stepped in for a shower. I kinda felt light-headed, and fortunately I didn't pass out.

I slipped into my pyjamas once I finished and tied my hair in a messy bun.

Parker had left right after beating me, and he hadn't came back yet. He told me that he was going to leave for a few days for a business trip.

I, however, accidentally rolled my eyes and shrugged which made him fume with anger. I knew that what I did wasn't the main reason behind his anger though. He had been angry since the day I heard his conversation. What I did was just his excuse to beat me. Not that he needed one.

I left my room and headed to the kitchen, using the wall as a support. Once I was in the kitchen, I started looking for the painkillers. Luckily, I found them on the counter and swallowed two pills before going back to my room.