Chapter 3

"Oh Hi Dr. Reid, sure, um, where are we going, and that's okay you can just call me y/n" You say with a smile

"And you can just call me Spencer. Well, there is some new evidence pertaining to a case in the area, and I wanted to run to the local station to pick up some files," Spencer says as he turns, motioning you to follow. You wave bye to Penelope and follow Spencer. You stand quietly in the elevator, until you both began to speak at the same time.

"why did-"Spencer says

"What do-" you say

You both look at each other and giggle

"You go first" You smile at Spencer

"I was just going to say, why did you decide to join the BAU"

The elevator opens and Spencer motions for you to go first.

"I guess it's a bit of a long story, but in short, I have always loved the psychology of criminals, understanding what factors play a role in their behaviours, figuring out the why. I thought a lot about what I truly wanted to do in life, and all roads lead me here" You say pointing your figures at the Quantico FBI buildings.

"Well I am happy you're here y/n, you're a great asset to our team," he says, putting a hand on your shoulder and smiling. You walk to the BAU black van. He gets into the driver's seat and turns on the car and begins to drive out of the parking lot.

"y/n what were you going to ask me?" He says looking into your eyes.

"Oh, I just wanted to know what do you enjoy about working here, I know there is a lot of difficult things, but I want something positive to hold onto." You say as you look out the window.

"Yeah there is many hard times, trust me on that, but I think the most rewarding is knowing that justice does get served, that there will be closure to the families, and knowing you saved lives is a great feeling"

He must have remembered the conversation from earlier, talking about closure to the families, that was nice of him to bring that reassurance you thought to yourself

"Well I am glad that there a good things to look forward to as well, on one hand I am excited to be on the case, but on the other, it's sad when one comes up." You say looking and Spencer

"I know what you mean, its certainly a mix of emotions"

You spend the next fifteen minutes getting to know one another; he spends time telling you facts about various landmarks in the area. It was actually nice to just sit with him and chat, Spencer is easy to be around. You arrived at the police station and got out of the van. You enter the building and a greeted by a man.

"Hello, I am detective Green, thank you both for coming in"

"Hi I am Dr. Reid and this is Dr. y/l/n" Spencer says and you shake hands with Green.

"Two doctors, well I have come to the right people. For the longest time, we thought the River Monster was caught, the man we put away confessed and it seemed as if everything pointed to Jason Ashley. But it has been six years, and Ashley wants to be moved to a different prison, I guess the other inmates have been giving him a hard time." Green rolls his eyes as he walks with you and Spencer to a small room with a a case file and a folder pull of crime scene pictures.

"Well, obviously we were not going to allow him to move prisons, that was until he said that he had a lot more information on the case that he would tell us, if we allowed him to transfer. And as you may be familiar with these cases it is common for them to say they have more information just to get what they want. But we have found three more bodies in a nearby lake that match the same MO as the River Monster. But Jason is locked up, that is why we called you in, we want you and your team to look into this case." Green said as he opened crime scene photos

"Do you think that you caught the right man and we now have a copycat?" You asked as you picked up some photos.

"Honestly, I am not sure, we thought all evidence pointed to him, maybe we did not have the full picture," Green says as he hands Spencer a file.

"Thank you Detective Green, we will bring this case back to the team and get their input" Spencer says shaking hands with Green and turning to leave the station.

You both get back into the BAU van, Spencer turns to you and says;

"Well... what do you think?"

"I think we should look into it, if this is a copycat, we need to find them, but there is also a chance they have the wrong guy and the killer is still out there. But the question is why the change of MO? Maybe drowning the victims in the river was not his goal, but more about what the river represents to the unsub." You say, looking back and forth between Spencer and the case file.

"I agree, changed his MO after Jason Ashley was caught. I think BAU involvement would be good in this situation, let's go back and see what the team thinks," Spencer says as he drives out of the parking lot.

You rest your head on the headrest of the passenger seat and say, "Honestly though, who the heck comes up with these stupid names for these people. River Monster? Really?" You say laughing, Spencer laughs along with you.

"Right, I have thought that too, it just gives them notoriety, I guess people have to put a label on something that they don't understand" Spencer says with a giggle

"Spoken like a true genius," You say laughing and turning your head to look at Spencer, he has a smile on his face.

You could get used to spending time with him; he was easy to talk to, and easy to look at.