Chapter Thirteen; Opaque & Aunty Leone

“Look at that bloke over there, he’s a fit lad!” Aunty Leone said, nudging Opaque under the circular café table and pointing at the blond boy filling up his frozen yogurt bowl with a smile on his face. Opaque hid her flushed cheeks with her hands.

“Aunty, that’s Jacoby,” She hissed, trying to cover her mouth with her hands. A smile broke out over Aunty Leone’s face and she clapped her hands loudly, that obnoxious grin over taking her whole face.

“Your crush?” The red head demanded, a little too loudly for Opaque’s taste. All the dark haired girl did was nod, combing some stray pieces of hair behind her ear and trying not to split her face in half with her smile. “Invite him over, look he came with that shaved headed bloke over there!” Aunty Leone said, and suddenly she stood up and deposited her yogurt in the trash. “I’ll be back in fifteen minutes, Op, I’m going to fetch something!” In then the woman fled the café like it was on fire.

In then Jacoby was there with his shaved friend, Ryan, and they were talking.  And when Jacoby intertwined their fingers under the table all Opaque could do was smile, blush and plant a neat, cookie cutter kiss on his left cheek and try to ignore the look in his eye.

It looked like the look Zayn used to give her, and that meant the boy liked her.

All she did was squeeze his hand and continue eating her yogurt with her right hand, thinking maybe London wasn’t so bad after all. And maybe life without Zayn and with Aunty Leone was bearable.

She’d been having this feeling lately. When she would lie in bed, and stare at the ceiling and look at the webbing cracks and here the trolley and the train rumbling on the tracks above her head. She felt like she was being watched, like someone was just out of sight and was watching her and was looking out for her.

But when Jacoby looked at her, with that swoop of blond hair and those dazzling brown eyes, she felt that weird feeling go away. And when he kissed her, it’s like she could feel this lightness in her chest and for some strange reason she knew Zayn wasn’t watching her anymore because this boy right here, with his lips pressed to hers and his fringe tickling her face, he’d watch out for her now.

And that was okay.