Chapter 4; Scattered Sheets & Scooters & Bells & Coloring Pages

Chapter 4; Scattered Sheets & Scooters & Bells & Coloring pages  

Niall woke up, slumped against his headboard, guitar sheet music scattered listlessly on the ground, his hard, royal blue guitar case lay haphazardly on the ground. It was open the electric tuner and extra strings spilling out of the side pouch, the black leather sling Niall kept for emergencies lay like a coiled snake on the ground, limp, yet dangerous. The room was a mess, and he realized with a pang he had slept in the shirt that boy had given him. The shirt smelt musky, clean and like supple minty tea leaves, and maybe some citrus in there, tangy and punctual. He wondered if he had been too formal the previous night and shacking himself out of his stupor he threw himself out of bed and pulled on a pair of strait, black trousers. He rummaged around inside of his drawer, and threw the stolen shirt on the ground, yanking a white button up over his bleach blond tips. He buttoned up the shirt with fumbling fingers, running his hands through his hair in an attempt to style it as he ripped his black blazer jacket off of the back of his bedpost. He pulled it on over his white shoulder, huffing as he clipped the buttons together wildly. Niall raced out of his room, deciding he’d just have to get coffee to go because he couldn’t make a fresh pot. He leapt into his car, his briefcase slung over his shoulder lazily, with the Sunday air snapping at his cheeks.

Zayn was standing in front of his sister’s full length mirror, straightening his golden button up. He felt his sister tucking the tail of his shirt into the back of his dark creased trousers. He looked professional, proficient, and prepared, his golden shirt covered with a sleeveless black, v-neck vest. It was midnight black, with lighter strips of gray going vertical, stitched over a shirt the color of the sunset. He had on black square toed shoes, and his sister had helped him blow-dry his raven hair this morning, and it stood up easily.

“You look great!” Opaque said, still dressed in her comfortable night clothing, the sun setting from the other side of the window lighting the inside of the curtain a delicate orange. “This office job look fits you.” She hands her older brother a warm cup of tea, the string falling out from underneath the lid, moist and stained from the dark caffeine.

“I am a greeter, I direct people.” Zayn said stoutly, running his fingers through the top of his hair nervously. Opaque smacked his tweaking little fingers away, wearing a pretend scolding expression.

“You look great,” She said in a warning tone, her light coffee eyes squinted into nothing but slits on her face. She pressed her lips together tightly, forcing a closed lip grin. Zayn smiled at her, a far-away look in his eyes as he took a swig from his breakfast tea. He walked out of the door, smiling and waving at his sister lovingly.

She smirked at his black and gold clad back. She watched him board his small scooter from inside of the house, pushing aside the curtains and flashing him a thumbs-up when he threw a worried glance her way. When he clipped his helmet one, twisting the handle and gliding out of the drive-way Opaque went back into Toms’ bedroom, collapsing on the bed and falling asleep.

~….~                                                                                                              

“I’m not late!” Niall yelled, frantically skidding into the front most room of his office, one of his shoes had fallen off and he clutched the heel of it tightly in his right hand, his face a deep flushed red from running. His blond hair was tousled; his blue eyes the color of translucent eyes.