Chapter 3

Exploring

Muzan's POV:

For Tanjiro's upcoming birthday, I found myself at a loss for what to do. Seeking guidance, I turned to my wife for advice. July 14th was fast approaching, and my son would be turning six. Back at our residence, my wife prepared a few presents and adorned the house with decorations. I eagerly anticipated Tanjiro's reaction to his first real birthday party.

The next morning arrived, and it was finally Tanjiro's birthday. He had spent part of the night with the upper moons and Rui, and the other part with me and my wife. The gifts he received from the moons were thoughtful and meaningful: cutting strings from Rui, a new haori from Douma, a bracelet from Akaza, and a nichiri blade from Kokushibo. Tanjiro had already mastered the breath of the moon and had begun learning the breath of the sun. These breathing techniques heightened his physical abilities, enhancing his grip, leg strength, and lung capacity. Alongside the presents from the moons, my wife, Mizuki, had prepared a cake adorned with toys like a wooden horse and other animals. Tanjiro's joy was evident as he spent the entire day surrounded by his father, sister, and demons. However, the most precious gift he received wasn't something tangible—it was the peaceful and intimate walk we shared outside. As the evening drew near and Tanjiro grew tired, I carried him in my arms, cherishing every moment.

We strolled through the streets of Asakusa when our tranquillity was abruptly disrupted by a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, already aware of who it might be, and found Shinobu Kocho and Giyuu Tomioka—the insect and water pillars—ready to attack. However, their aggression subsided when they noticed that I held a sleeping child in my arms.

"Why would you have a child in your arms?" Shinobu exclaimed, her voice filled with confusion and disbelief.

"Dad, who are they?" Tanjiro innocently asked, unaware of the implications of his question.

The pillars were shocked by Tanjiro's reference to me as his father. How could a demon possess a son?

"Sorry, we thought you were someone else," Giyuu replied, his voice faltering slightly.

"It's quite alright," I calmly responded.

By a stroke of luck, I discreetly released a small amount of my blood into the air, creating a minor illusion. In the illusion, Tanjiro appeared completely different, with short blond hair, a blue haori, and black eyes. This way, I ensured his safety as a spy within the ranks of the demon slayer corps. With Tanjiro still in my arms, I continued our journey back home. Upon arrival, my wife's happiness at seeing me content—something I rarely showed—brightened the atmosphere.

Later that evening, Tanjiro and I returned to the infinity fortress, where we were greeted by the three highest-ranking upper moons. As the morning dawned, Tanjiro grew tired, prompting Akaza to put him to sleep. Once the child was asleep, I informed all the upper moons to be vigilant and wary of the pillars' presence.

Two years later, Tanjiro stood for the final exam to become a demon slayer. Now eight years old, he had mastered hand-to-hand combat, the total concentration breathing technique, and both the breath of the moon and the breath of the sun. To further solidify his credibility, he had even sought training from Urokodaki Sakonji to learn the water breath technique for another two years. Arriving at the exam site, Tanjiro joined the other candidates, two little girls awaiting their arrival. The girls explained the task at hand—to survive on the treacherous mountain for one week and then return to the Wisteria flowers. The initial number of candidates exceeded twenty, but only time would reveal how many would emerge victorious in this perilous trial filled with demons.

As Tanjiro skillfully slayed demons on the treacherous mountain, I watched him intently through the eyes of the demons themselves. None of the demons were capable of even scratching him; he was a force to be reckoned with. With his mastery of three breathing techniques, his unwavering determination, and his strength rivaling that of an upper moon, Tanjiro was practically a pillar himself. I paid little mind to the other candidates, focusing solely on protecting one from a mutant demon with many hands. To avoid raising suspicion, I allowed the demon to inflict a superficial wound on Tanjiro, resulting in a striking scar on his forearm.