Chapter 10:

After Inej left, Kaz sat a while, looking out the window into dark and sleeping Ketterdam. He could feel that white angry rage again, threatening to tear him apart. 

Is this was he was going to spend his life doing? Constantly tearing and dismantling the works of others for revenge? 

What was the meaning of this? Sooner or later, he knew, that this would soon be meaningless. 

He shook his head and his eyes followed the crows that swooped though the night sky. Due to their activity at night, those rare crows were named as midnight crows. In Ketterdam, they were almost the equivalent of a morbid wishing star. 

Old Kaz would have wished so that Pekka Rollins would suffer. Well, there was no new Kaz and he didn't wish. 

Kaz went to bed, mind wondering how he could get rid of his demons and Pekka Rollins once and for all. 

Nina strode about the decks of the traveling Ravakan ship. Nikolai and Zoya were disguised as Mr. and Mrs. Ivanov. Zoya had rolled her eyes and stalked off to the upper decks as Nikolai had went in search of herring. 

She couldn't wait to see Inej again. She missed Jesper and Wylan, oh and Kaz too, but she missed Inej's quiet but unwavering personality the most. 

She sighed what was she doing, moping? and went below to start a letter to Hanne. 

Kaz and Inej stood, together but apart as they watched the Varygag dock. Though the hordes of people, Inej spotted Nina and Zoya. And the King of Ravka. 

"Nina!" Inej ducked though the crowds and meet Nina's delighted squeals of "Inej!" as they embraced. 

She bowed to Zoya and Nikolai who smiled and nodded back. 

Kaz's cane thumped up the gangway :" Zenik. "

"Brekker. "

Nina smirked, "Still the same old Kaz, isn't he? Where's Wesper?"

Kaz shifted his weight and asked:" What's Wesper?"

"Well, Kanej is here but no Wesper?" She caught Kaz's expression and burst into laughter. Inej couldn't help but laugh at Kaz's burning cheeks and snickered. 

"Its good to have you back, Nina. Wesper is at the mansion, getting things ready. "

"More like snogging. Good to be back, Inej"

Meanwhile, Kaz was staring down Zoya. 

"Nazyalensky. " 

"Brekker. "

Oh Ghezen, Inej thought. This wasn't going to work well. 

Nikolai smirked, watching Kaz and Zoya stare each other down. Its been a while since Zoya had a new match. 

"Nina, dear, lets go get the luggage and give Mr. Brekker and Zoya a moment. " Nikolai escorted Nina and Inej towards the the luggage. 

Inej nodded at him and he smiled. Then he realized that she didn't look very happy. 

He sombered:" We are sorry for the Suli treatment, with the war and all, but after all, we are still working on peace and prosperity for all. "

Inej nodded, it was true that there was the war. She couldn't blame all that on the new king. She softened a bit and asked:" How are my parents doing?" 

"They are doing well and they send their love. " Nikolai smiled inside. He had kept contact with the Suli acrobats and surprisingly they had become sort of his new eyes for the steppe and all over Ravaka.