Chapter 12:

"Is this your idea of a joke?" Zoya snarked. 

The silence hung in the air like a cloud but was quickly broken by the barking and Wylan's turning pale and 

" No Miss. Zoya. Jesper thought it was a good gift idea for Kaz because on our last job he...." 

Wylan trailed off, remembering his and Kaz's time in Smeet's home. 

he threatened to kill a little girl and her dogs? No. That wasn't the Kaz he chose and wanted to remember. He remembered Kaz, stopping in the middle of the job to pet Smeet's hounds. 

Jesper draped an arm over Wylan's shoulder. 

"No worries, just an inside group thing, you know?" 

Inej started "Kaz..." just as Zoya said :" Nikolai!" 

They all peered at their feet where Kaz and Nikolai knelt petting the malamute. 

Nina, a bit wary of Zoya, but rather unfazed laughed and said:" If Kaz was an animal, he'd be a fox" 
Nikolai and Zoya traded glances. 

"Kauze he's so sneaky. A black fox though, one that you don't see until it creeps up on you. "

Jesper laughed:" And Wylan would be a lark. 'Cause talking to him is such a lark and they sing, you know. "

Wylan blushed but responded fiercely:" Then you would be a peacock, all bright colors and such."

"Inej would be a cat. " Kaz said, under his breath. Cats were considered bad luck in some countries but Kaz considered Inej his sanity and luck. His life in Ketterdam now. 

Kaz shook his head softy and ran his fingers lightly though the soft fur of the dog as it tried to lick his face. 

"Jes, can these dogs do tricks?" 

Jesper shook his head and returned to his conversation with Wylan and Zoya. Nina rolled her eyes. 

"Oh and now he's going to teach the dogs to do tricks. " 

Kaz's mind was already rolling. 

Nikolai watch the group mingle. It reminded him Ravaka- the group joking and laughing. 

He hoped that David and Genya were doing well. Ah Ravaka. 

To be completely honest, if he was going to lie to himself, he wasn't a bit offended at the dogs. 

But also to be complete honest, not lying, he didn't give a damn when he say how the whole group fawned over them. 

Inej was sitting with a huge dog on her lap, Nina stroking its silky ears. Kaz was talking intensely to the the other dog. And while Zoya and Jesper shot remarks at each other, they were playing tug-a-war with Wylan and the third dog. 

Zoya caught his eye and tilted her head. He smiled and strode over to help the humans in tug- of -war. 

*I am not sorry for indulging in the Grishaverse + Doggos. 

**On to the plot. Tommorrow.