Chapter 14:

After the bank business, Inej and Kaz stopped by the tunnel that lead out of Ketterdam through the sea. Kaz knelt and ran his gloved fingers (he claimed it was cold) over the edge. There was recent footprints and Kaz was glad for the distraction. He was glad that he had another heist and this time was actually doing good. 

Kaz motioned for Inej to take out the wax. They put the wax into the keyhole and made a makeshift key, something that they should have done sooner. 

"Don't forget to give Nikolai and Zoya a copy of the map. " Inej reminded Kaz. Kaz nodded and gently put the key into his pocket. 

"Tell me about their appearances and about Van Eck's jail. " Kaz said. 

"They were here last night, and according to Rodrick, a big man carrying a briefcase approached the sewers. The sewers, as we now know lead to the prison. Apparently, Ketterdam is built on not only the island, but multiple stable and unstable tunnels, which is why we need Tidemakers to regulate the floating. " Inej stated. 

Kaz shuddered, mentally, at the thought of walking through dark, wet, small tunnels. 

How did Doughty manage this? He must be in good shape. That means wherever Pekka Rollins is, he is near and has good resources. 

"So, Kaz. What's the plan?" 

Kaz nodded. 

There are always six steps to a good heist. 

1. Make sure that you have your resources. 

2. Anticipate how the opponent will strike and expects you to strike. 

3. Always have a measure of backup. 

4. Calculate everything to the last detail. 

5. Ensure that all problems are solved and goals met. 

6. Always be a step or two ahead. 

The resources, the King of Ravaka and a Grisha general, and Nina, who can control the dead. Wylan, and Inej were good. 

Pekka Rollins has no idea how much we know. He expects Van Eck murdered. He will sneak into the Hendricks Mansion to steal or perhaps kill or kidnap. Backup. 

The banks. Not good enough, however. 

"Inej? I need you to do us a favor. " Kaz's black eyes glinted as he gestured towards the Government and Finical District.