Chapter 1

I’m shivering in the corner of my cell delirious with fever. Pain radiates from every corner of my body keeping me anchored to consciousness, even as my mind drifts. I reach out in the dark, blindly grasping for my friend, before remembering that she was taken away by the guards, who knows how long. Time doesn't exist in this dark basement, every moment melting together in a haze of agony.

The door opens with a creak, and cold hands reach out to me. I stir, weakly flinching away from the touch, afraid of the pain that it would bring, but it only becomes firmer, igniting a line of fire on my ravaged skin. 

"Please n-no more," I murmur hoarse from coughs and screams.

"Shh it's fine," comes a whisper in return sounding like a woman.

"Just relax," the woman whispers.

"N-no more, can't," I whimper, uselessly twisting away from the figure next to me. I have no coherent thoughts, only pain and fear and the promise of the worst to come from Dr Neiman. I know I can't give in, can't jeopardise the safety of my friends. My suffering will end, however bleak that end would be. And still, I cannot help but beg for mercy.

"I'm sorry," comes the woman's worried voice, full of care and concern.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. Just relax ok, I'm here".

I flinch as the woman touches me, not used to others offering comfort. When she pulls away, afraid that she hurt me, all I feel is the cold spot where her hand once was. The next time she goes to comfort me I manage not to flinch so violently. A brush of fingertips up and down my arm tracing my scars. It's more than I could ever imagine, and I almost feel foolish for needing this simple contact so much.

I don't know how to ask for a hug. I just kinda lean against the kind woman's shoulder and hope she understands. I don't want to inconvenience the woman or ask for something she isn't willing to give. The woman wraps an arm around my shoulders and tightly hugs me and for a moment I feel safe.

Nats pov

I catch onto the fact that the little girl is touch starved, and using it to her advantage. I brush my fingers through her long brown hair, down the back of her neck, I feel every muscle of the girl's body tense up and brace for the pain that doesn't come. With time and patience, I get the girl to unwillingly relax to the touch. 

"Nat?"

Sorry it's kind short the first chapter lol-Avengersfan0987