Chapter 6

Avery's pov

"Go and scout out the place" Dr Neiman instructs as he undoes my cuffs.   

"Do this, do that. I may as well breathe in the air for them while I'm at it. It's not them who risks their neck every single time I go out, while they go and probably hide 'keeping watch'" I sigh.

I quieten as I pass into another area of the forest. The smell of pine thick in the air. The loud bangs of guns and bombs were just as heavy, almost touchable I thought. 

"Cowards that's what they are" I mumble peering around a tree.

"Too frightened to be a hero but happy enough to put me through hell" I stop and sigh, but I hear movement, I am sure it came above me.

"If things are that bad why don't you leave," a man says behind me. 

I'm about to turn around and fight when I feel the barrel of a gun press into the back of my neck, pushing my chest against the tree I hid behind.

"A word of advice, don't talk to yourself when you're trying to be stealthy" he continues.

Got the suspect I hear him say also providing the location.

I use my super-hearing to listen to the other side of the comm.

"On it," someone says

"Romanoffs down I'm taking her back to the jet" I hear another person say.

In only a few minutes a group of people are surrounding me. I start to feel anxious as they slowly close in on me. I know I could escape and kill them with a blink of an eye but I weirdly didn't want to.

“Let's take this mask of shall we,” the man who has me at gunpoint says.

This is what Avery is wearing 

I flinch when he tries taking the mask off thinking that he was going to hurt me. I flip him over my shoulder pinning him to the ground. 

“Shoot her!” he yells.

“I’m bulletproof bitch” I scream.

I disable his suit before sprinting away. I run and run until I get knocked down by the metal dude who's in another suit. 

“Stand down” he yells.

These people are my mission, why aren’t I fighting back I think.

“Nah I require a good fight,” I say before lunging at the closest person to me. I throw them to the ground before moving onto someone else.

I have been fighting for what seems like forever. I'm about to hit metal dude when my mask tears revealing my identity.

“Avery?” I hear a woman ask.

“Who the hell is Avery?”