chapter 4

Averys pov

I gasp my fingers scrabbling at the collar around my neck. I arched my head to relieve the pressure on my throat as a finger hooked through the collar yanking me closer. I take hitched, trembling breaths in between sobs, trying to form words.

"T- Take it off" I beg.

I squeeze my eyes tight, as though this would erase the tight, constricting presence around my neck.

"No can do sweetheart" Dr Neiman grins as I struggle to breathe.

He finally lets up, watching as I fall to my knees, hyperventilating and shaking.

"Not when I've finally found a way to keep you in line" Dr Neiman sneers.

He suddenly takes the collar off and drags me into another room. I didn't have time to examine my surroundings as I get strapped onto a big machine looking thing.

"This is for escaping," Dr Neiman says before switching a switch.

I scream out in pain hoping that the Avengers will find me more importantly Nat I like her.

Nats pov

I pace back and forth biting my nails. I couldn't stand the thought of my little sister lost and helpless in the middle of nowhere.

"We are going to find her Nat" Steve assures me while putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. Tears stream down my face as I try to quickly wipe them away. I never cried in front of people I hate being so vulnerable.

Steve's pov

"I.... don't know w-w-why I'm crying" Natasha's voice shook, and it was terrible.

I have never heard her waver.

"It's fine, it's okay, nothing wrong with that," I say.

"I'm not w-weak" she gasps wetly. I've h-h-had worse".

"I know. I know that alright? Crying doesn't make you weak".

Her breaths are tumultuous, her mouth agape. Tears kept streaming down her face. I pull her into a hug. Somethings wrong even with the closest people she knows she never cries. There has to be something hidden deep down that she's not telling us but I don't say anything.

"We are going to find her" I repeat.

Averys pov

My screams of agony finally break as the electrocution stops. My body aching and burning, I slump forward against the restraints gasping for breath. I don't even have the strength to shudder as my captor runs a deceivingly gentle hand through my blood-soaked hair.

"This doesn't have to continue. You know what I want" he whispers. I force myself to look into his eyes. The hatred and anger in his dark brown eyes. No, unfortunately, I do know what he wants.

"For me to comply and give up" I spat.

Dr Neiman expected me to figure it out so quickly and he gave me a sly smile.

"Ready to comply" he sneered.

"Never" I yell, spitting on his shoes.

Dr Neiman walks over to the window and stares out of it.

"How long," he said as he stares out the window.

"Do you think it would take you to break if I simply left you in a cold cell to rot?".

My chest tightens.

"Humans need company," he murmurs. "They can go a little crazy without it. You hate me so much, perhaps you'd prefer to be left on your own, hm?. He turns around to face me, head tilted.

"I always imagined that's what your death would be like. A cold, dark cell, unable to move or do anything. Trapped in your head with no one else to guide you out of the dark places you end up in. An eternity of conscious nothingness" he smiles.

"You wouldn't do that," I say. "There's no point in keeping a trophy that no one else can see".

"Let's make a bet on that, shall we?"