two ♫

July Sullivan was exactly the type of person that you'd like to have around - or so she was in the habit of telling herself. Sure, she dressed differently and had a bizarrely intimate relationship with her guitar, but she was also the kindest person for miles and was quite resourceful, too.

July was, she thought to herself as she kicked a battered soccer ball down the sidewalk, a cup of iced tea in her hand and her two best friends flanking her, a born people-pleaser. Was that a bad thing? Not necessarily. However, it did prove to be a hindrance when Cass needed someone to drag into her scheming. Currently, however, Cass's schemes were at a standstill for the summer.

"So what did you think of Reid?" Cass asked. Art frowned at her. "Curls," she corrected, waving a hand. "Whatever. I don't get the obsession with nicknames."

"It's our thing," Art argued. "We all have nicknames."

"You're the only one with a cool nickname," Cass huffed.

"Ouch," July said pleasantly, taking a slurp of her tea. Cass rolled her eyes.

"I thought Curls was a nice guy," Art said, answering Cass's earlier question.

"I told you he was a good pick," Cass said with a satisfied nod.

"You act like we're a recruiting sports team," July replied, snorting.

"We are a team, of sorts," said Cass, glancing at Art for confirmation.

Art shrugged. "I just think of us as a group of friends."

"An exceedingly fantastic group of friends," Cass added.

July laughed. "I think Curls'll be a good friend of ours."

Cass nodded, looking thoughtful. "He's kind of awkward, isn't he?"

"So was I," Arthur said in his low, butter-smooth voice. "People change with time."

"You're so wise," Cass laughed, reaching around July to punch Arthur playfully in the shoulder.

"It's been said that I'm the next Rumi," Arthur replied solemnly.

"Or the next Edison," July suggested. "How's your car project coming along?" Cass had her schemes, July had her music, and Arthur had his tinkering. He was always trying to fix something or alter the mechanics of an object to make it more efficient. The projects didn't always go well.

Arthur heaved a sigh. "I'd rather not talk about it."

July chuckled. "That bad?" she asked.

"That bad," he confirmed.

"Where should we go on this fine afternoon?" Cass asked, stepping between July and Arthur. She looped her arms through theirs. "Donuts?" she suggested.

"Park?" July asked.

"Home?" Art asked, his tone tentative. Cass and July turned twin exasperated gazes on him, and he smiled apologetically. "It was only a suggestion."

"I think we should get food," Cass announced. She was generally the plan-maker of their trio.

"There's an ice cream truck circling around," Arthur informed them.

"Why don't we go to the diner?" Cass asked, unlinking her arms from theirs and clapping her hands together in excitement. Though diners were currently on the decline, the rather outdated city of Hemley still had one that was positively thriving.

Art made a face. "We never go there."

"Yeah, but Reid works there," Cass pointed out. She stuck out her tongue at Art's annoyed expression. "I refuse to call him 'Curls.'" Arthur looked like he was about to snap something in reply, but Cass caught sight of a lemonade stand and began to squeal. "Look! Lemonade! I'm gonna go buy some. Do you guys want any?" Both July and Arthur shook their heads. Cass shrugged, running off towards the stand, her miniskirt flaring in the almost non-existent breeze.