five ✎

Saturday had passed in the way that Reid had expected his entire summer to pass before his accidental meeting with Sullivan, Art, and Cass in that room behind the lockers. In short, Saturday was boring. He had spent the morning at a park writing, and had stopped by the diner for a muffin or two after. From that point until dinner, Reid had sat at his desk, waiting anxiously for the phone to ring. Spoiler alert: it didn't. However, a frighteningly loud dinging sounded from it the next morning, jerking Reid out of his peaceful dreaming and back into reality. He was currently perched on the armrest of one of Cass's living room couches as Cass went over her jam-packed plan for the summer, Sullivan hummed a tune to herself, and Art argued about the various destinations Cass had picked out.

Cass made an exasperated noise. "Sullivan, would you stop that humming? It's hard to focus." July looked wounded, but quieted down. "I don't get why you're so against the roller skating rink," Cass huffed, glaring at Arthur and crossing her arms over her chest. "It's fun!"

Art, who was leaning against the bricks that made up the fireplace, crossed his own arms over his chest. "I hate roller skating."

"But you're so good at it!" Cass protested. She glanced at July. "A little help here?"

July shrugged. "If he doesn't want to go, then he doesn't have to go."

Cass scowled. "I'm trying to plan a fun summer for us," she snapped. "It won't be fun if everyone doesn't go along with the plans!" Cass turned to Reid, a pleading expression on her face. "What do you think about the roller skating rink?"

Reid's face flushed a pale pink. "I, uh- I'm not the best at roller skating... Or hand-eye coordination... Or balancing of any sort." He glanced at Art, whose lips were twisted in an amused smile. Reid ducked his head slightly, embarrassed.

Arthur released a quiet chuckle. "I sort of want to see this, though." He gestured back and forth between Reid and the four pairs of roller skates that Cass had apparently had waiting in her closet.

The horror must've shown on Reid's face, because Sullivan laughed. "You're too cruel, Art."

Art shrugged. "Cass is getting what she wants, and I'm more scared of her than of Mr. Clumsy over here." Reid desperately wanted to sink into the floor and die.

Cass clapped her hands together, looking pleased with how this was turning out. "Righty-o," she said brightly. "Shall we?" Cass asked, indicating the door.

Art raised his eyebrows. "Already?"

"Let's get ice cream first," Sullivan said, seeming to sense an impending argument between Art and Cass.

Cass rolled her eyes. "Fine." She latched onto Reid's arm and steered him towards the door.

"Why do you and Art argue all the time?" Reid asked, looking back at Art, who was engaged in conversation with Sullivan.

Cass followed his gaze to Arthur. "We don't argue all the time," she said carefully, "he's just mad at me today."

"Oh. For what reason?"

Cass glanced at Reid. He noticed, for the first time, that she was quite tall. "I called up his ex and we went to a nightclub together," Cass said bluntly.

Reid raised his eyebrows. A few questions were spinning through his mind, but only one made its way past his lips. "Art has an ex?"

Cass looked like she wanted to laugh. "Yeah, Reid, he does."

"Oh," Reid said, feeling vaguely uncomfortable. "Cool." Why had he asked that? This was becoming increasingly awkward.

"No comments on my bad moral compass? Or about how horrible a friend I am?" Cass asked, raising an eyebrow.