twelve ♫

July couldn't shake the feeling that there was something she was being left out on. As Cass, Reid, Art and her sat in a circle on the grass in the local park, a secret hovered heavily in the air around them. Cass was chattering on about the terrifying movie that she and Reid had watched the previous afternoon, Art was staring pointedly away from the three of them, and Reid kept sneaking glances at Arthur when he thought that nobody was looking.

"I think we should have a giant slumber party this weekend," Cass announced.

"Giant?" Art asked skeptically.

Cass rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean. A well-planned sleepover for the four of us." When nobody replied, Cass raised her eyebrows. "Well?"

"Sounds fun," Reid said with a light shrug.

Art frowned slightly. "I don't really want to."

Cass shot a flat look at him. "Stop being in such a funk, Art. This summer is supposed to be fun."

Arthur raised his hands in surrender. "I'm not keeping the rest of you from your fun, I'm just saying that I don't want to."

Cass made a huffing noise. "Your bad mood is not going to ruin this for everyone. You're coming, whether you like it or not."

"You can't force me," Art protested.

Cass made a frustrated noise. "Laura being in town doesn't give you a free pass to be annoying!"

"Laura's in town?" July echoed. So this was the big secret. "Nobody told me."

Cass glanced at her. "I found out from Reid, because Art's being a big baby and--"

"I'm not being a big baby," Art interrupted, sulking.

"Yes you are," Cass replied. "Now snap out of it."

"How did Reid know?" July asked.

"He was at Art's house working on the car and ran into her," Cass explained. "It's not important." Cass turned to Arthur. "Now. I think you owe the lot of us an apology." Arthur rolled his eyes. "And promise that you won't be in such a grouchy mood for the rest of summer."

Art said nothing. July reached out, putting an arm around his shoulders. "Come on, Art. Don't let Laura get you down."

Arthur sighed, but nodded. He glanced up at each of them in turn. July noticed the way his eyes lingered on Reid for a beat too long. "I'm sorry."

"Good," Cass said, seemingly satisfied by this. "Now, for the slumber party..." July zoned her out as she began to delegate tasks and explain her master plan. A tune was lingering in the back of her mind, something soft and pretty from the dream she had had last night, and July was determined to remember it.

"Sullivan," Art said, nudging her.

"Hm?" Sullivan glanced up. Cass was regarding her with an exasperated expression on her face. "Sorry, I was thinking about something else."

"That was quite clear," Cass said sourly.

"What were you saying?" July asked, an apologetic smile rising to her lips.

"We're going to the mall together tomorrow," Cass informed her. The faintest flutter could be felt in the pit of July's stomach. "Reid and Art will be finding us a movie to watch on Thursday. On Friday, we'll have the slumber party."

"Sounds good," Art said, rising to his feet. "Well, I'm off."

"Where are you going?" Cass asked, raising an eyebrow. Art's cheeks pinked slightly. "Oh no," Cass said, already shaking her head. "Tell me you aren't ditching us to meet up with Rex."