thirty ✩

Somehow, Cass woke up next to Sullivan. Rex's friends had deposited themselves around her house in various states of undress and drunkenness the night before, and they were all sleeping soundly as she crept downstairs. Everything in her was pushing her to the door. She desperately wanted to flee there and then, but she had to get her purse from her room first. Cass sighed, trudging up the stairs.

"Psst!" Cass whipped around, and she caught eyes with Christian. She slipped into his room at his beckoning and sat down on his bed. "Sullivan's in your room, right?" he asked.

"Yeah," Cass replied, nodding once. "Why?"

Christian shrugged. "Wanted to make sure she got to bed okay." He fiddled with the cross that was hanging on a chain around his neck. "Rex is kinda cute, huh?"

Cass looked up at him, taken aback. "What?"

"Rex," Christian said. "Cute." He snapped his fingers. "Right?"

Cass shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

"Is he single?" Christian asked, looking thoughtful.

Cass snorted. "What're you planning on doing? Taking him on a couple dates and breaking his heart?" Christian was, in fact, a known player. "He's my friend. I'd prefer we not be estranged by your commitment issues."

Christian swatted at her. "Says you. I know you were planning on leaving here as soon as you could."

"I really don't see how that's an indication of commitment issues," Cass retorted.

Christian raised a dark eyebrow. "Um, whatever you say, I guess." Cass rolled her eyes. "You're in a weird mood today," Christian informed her.

"How's that?" Cass asked.

"You seem," Christian waved a hand vaguely, "down."

Cass shrugged. "Just tired."

"Come on," Christian said, shoving her a little. "You don't expect me to believe that, do you?"

Cass cracked a smile. "Damn. Thought I could pull the wool over your eyes just this once."

"Sorry, but my eyes are wool free," Christian said. "It makes me itch," he added.

Cass laughed, keeping quiet so as not to wake up the entire house. "I'm pretty sure you have at least four wool coats in your closet."

Christian sighed, dramatic as ever. "The things I do for fashion." His expression turned serious, and he set a hand on Cass's shoulder. "But really. What's up?"

Cass tugged at a loose string on the comforter. At last, she looked up, meeting Christian's eyes. "I'm pretty sure I told Sullivan that I'm depressed last night."

Christian held her gaze. "Are you?"

"Yeah, Chris, I think so," Cass whispered. "I don't mean to self-diagnose, and I could be way off, but..."

Christian pulled her in for a hug. The thought registered in Cass's mind that he smelled like sugar and peaches. "I don't know how to make you feel better, but I promise that I'll always be here if you need to talk about it."

"You're too sweet," Cass said, pulling back, sniffling slightly. "Anyhow, that's all."

"Is it so bad that she knows?" Christian asked.

Cass thought for a moment. "Yes," she replied. "I don't want her to think that I'm broken or something. Unworthy of love."

"I don't think she thinks that," Christian assured her. "I don't think she'll ever think that."