thirty-nine ♫

"We're going to get donuts," Cass announced, opening the balcony door. "Want anything?"

"Are you feeling better?" Reid asked.

"Indeed I am," Cass said, though July could tell that the news story still hadn't left her mind. "So? Donuts, anyone?"

"I'll have whatever," Reid replied. "Chocolate, preferably."

Art snorted, walking out onto the balcony. "Of course."

Reid wrinkled his nose, sticking out his tongue. "You know you're gonna get chocolate too."

"That's fair," Art said. He plopped down onto the cushioned bench beside Reid, hooking an arm around Reid's shoulders.

"So you two have set aside your differences?" Cass asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We sure have," Art replied, chipper.

"Thank god," Cass said. "Art, are you coming with me, or am I meant to traverse the dangerous streets alone?"

"I'm far too weary," Art said dramatically. "I volunteer Reid, since he's first on our list of who would be sacrificed to the aliens when they arrive."

Reid looked appalled. "What?!"

"Sorry," Art said, sounding anything but apologetic. "You're just so annoying that we figured they'd leave the rest of us alone after."

Reid smacked him in the arm. "Hey!"

"As much as I'm enjoying your wholesome, gay banter," Cass said, bored, "I'm starved. Reid, are you coming or not?"

"I'll come along, I guess," Reid said.

Art made a noise of annoyance as Reid made to duck out of his hold. "You're just going to abandon me?"

Cass heaved a loud sigh. "I see how it is, Arthur," she said with mock disapproval. "You ignored him for a few days and now you're begging for his attention. Right when I'm about to make my donut run, might I add."

Art snorted. "I like him a lot, what can I say?"

"I like Sullivan a lot, but I'm not sucking her face off at any given moment," Cass replied. Sullivan felt her cheeks redden a little.

"Nobody was sucking anybody's face off," Reid said, clearly horrified. "What do you take us for, straight people?" The joke surprised them all, and sent them into fits of laughter.

"That was good," Cass said between laughs. "That was really good."

"I didn't expect that out of you of all people," Art added, snickering.

"You're finally one of us," July told him, chuckling a little too.

"You're pretty lucky, huh, Art?" Cass wiggled her eyebrows. "I'm even luckier, obviously, but still."

Art shook his head, grinning. "Go get your donuts, crazy." He released Reid finally, and the two of them left.

Art scooted across the bench to be closer to July. He picked up the magazine that Reid had been scribbling random lyrics in. "Men," he said, sighing contentedly as he held up a two page spread of some models.

"Women," July countered dreamily, pointing at the girl on the page.

"Fair enough, though I don't see the appeal," Art said, shrugging. He tossed the magazine onto a chair. "I wanna hear the song you two were writing."

July made a face. "It's not even done yet."

"Come on," Art pleaded. "Please?"

July sighed, then strummed a chord. "You remind me of sunsets, strawberry perfume..." Art waited patiently as she plucked at the strings. "Dandelion wishes, smoke blown to the moon." A smile played at his lips. "You are all I've needed, all I'll ever want. That butterfly feeling, it's taking me apart. You are all I've needed, all I'll ever know. The beauty of peace, and the comfort of home."