3.2| trendsetter.

Peculiars had two types of powers: Primary and Secondary.

Primary powers were ones you were born with. They were your strongest powers and didn't exceed three. Secondary powers were the ones that manifested after you started training. They also ranged between one and three. Compared to primary powers, they weren't that strong. A Class-1 superhero using their secondary powers could easily beat a Class-3 and Class-4 superhero using their primary powers.

Vince and Dina had taken their tests years ago and found out they were both Class-3. They had no intentions of being superheroes. They hated the idea, preferring to spend their time in their laboratory studying DNA found in the superhero memorabilia and making the perfect super suit for Saint-Max.

"Don't worry about what she said, son," Vince said after turning off the TV and turning to Saint-Max. Though he sat down, his muscular frame was hard to ignore. His dark skin glowed under the electric light, highlighting his bald head. "I like that you took a stand for the mundanes. Someone has to."

"So did I, mijo," Dina chimed. As a brown woman, she took part in a lot of protests against superheroes who mistreated minorities. It was how she met Vince. "Superheroes get away with a lot. Calling them out may seem like a dangerous move at first, but now people will keep a close watch on their actions." She stood from the couch and went to Saint-Max. "I'm proud of you." She kissed his forehead, then hugged him.

"Thank you, mom."

"You know, comparing them to villains was so vague. I mean, you can be a villain who kills or a villain who doesn't. Superheroes always kill the villains, no matter what, which makes them villains too. I'm just glad we have The Watchdogs," Melina said from the couch. At sixteen, she only had Teleportation as her primary power and Force Field Creation as a secondary power. She'd have more by the time she turned twenty-one.

Dina gasped. "Don't say such things, mija."

"I learned it from you," her daughter retorted.

"I know. But you're still a child. Wait until you're older and you've got all your powers. Then you can say whatever you want and be able to protect yourself."

Melina rolled her eyes.

Vince laughed. "Looks like we raised a bunch of rebels."

"Are you going to Xia's party tomorrow?" Dina changed the subject.

"Yes," Saint-Max replied.

"Did you buy her anything?"

"Yes."

"What did you buy?" Melina asked with narrowed eyes.

"An awesome gift." Saint-Max grinned.

Melina snorted. "You mean cheap."

"Hey! Cheap can still be awesome."

"It can't." Melina stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"That's not nice, mija. You know your brother's saving for the superhero tests, otherwise he'd have bought a better gift for Xia. Isn't that right, Saint?" his mother said.

"Yes, mom," Saint-Max replied.

"See?" Dina smiled.

Melina sighed. "Fine." She turned to the TV, grabbed the remote, and turned it on.

Vince joined her in watching a soccer match between Rough Men and Tomorrow's People. They were teams of peculiars, as sports involving mundanes had died out.

"Are you coming, Saint?" Dina asked him, patting the space between her and his sister.

"In a minute." He couldn't help but think Melina was right. Xia Li had moved on in life. She was rich, so giving her a cheap perfume might insult her. But he was trying his best to still be in her life.

He already felt like a burden to everyone around him because someone his age should've had a decent job and house by now; not living with his parents. He appreciated everything they had done for him and kept doing. But time was running out, and he needed to be more ambitious like Xia Li if he wanted to make something of himself.

Saint-Max looked at his family as Vince gave Melina a noogie while Dina laughed. I won't be a burden to you for long.

Words: 663.

Total Words: 5854.