8.2| he who destroys the world.

Everything around Saint-Max froze, and he panted, his heart racing, sending vibration waves across his body.

This was a joke. Maybe he misheard Dr. Iness. Why would he destroy the world? After everything he said and did to get to where he was, he ended up becoming the thing he hated most?

No way.

He refused to believe it.

Saint-Max took a deep breath, then stood and walked around. Though Janice and Dr. Iness sat frozen in their seats, the latter's eyes followed him as he contemplated what to do next.

"What will my family think of me when I become a villain? What about Tim? Xia Li?" He returned to his seat and buried his face in his hands.

There was no better feeling than saving people and seeing the smile on their faces. It was the best part of being a superhero. He made the world a safer place than before, ensuring a better tomorrow.

"What do you mean, Saint-Max destroys the world?" Janice asked after unfreezing.

"Do you understand the concept of different timelines?" Dr. Iness asked.

"Yes." The reporter nodded.

"Then you understand me being here means I've already changed the course of events, right?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then this will be easy to explain." Dr. Iness uncrossed her legs, then crossed her left leg over her right. "In my timeline, there are key events that lead to Saint—Lightfoot—destroying the world."

"What key events?"

The doctor looked at Saint-Max. "Are you sure you want to know?"

"Is there harm in me knowing?" he asked.

"Not anymore."

"Then tell me."

"In my timeline, Tim and Fabian die today."

"What?"

"They die while trying to help a family whose car crashed. A kaiju destroys a building, and it falls on them."

Saint-Max stood. "We should go save them!"

"Relax. It's already taken care of. I made sure the family left before the kaijus arrived. Also, Tim and Fabian are already outside the city, somewhere safe."

The unranked hero breathed a sigh of relief.

Dr. Iness went on, "Tim's death really affected you, Saint. He was your anchor, making sure the leeches in the hero business didn't corrupt you. When he died, you lost yourself. You didn't listen to anyone. Not your media friends, family, or best friend. You went on a suicide mission, trying to expose the villainous superheroes by yourself. But it didn't work. You failed miserably.

"And because of your actions, your family died. Their deaths barely got any media attention. The few news sites that covered it said it was a road accident. A drunk driver crashed into them, and their car exploded. But you knew that wasn't the truth. So did Janice. She promised to help you uncover the truth. And in doing so, she found herself in a near-death situation which—"

"Activated my dormant peculiar gene," Janice finished.

"Exactly. But you weren't strong, Janice. Not as strong as Saint needed you to be. You died not long after you got your powers, and this sent Saint into a murderous rage. No one could stop him. He had crossed the speed of light, breaking its barrier like it was nothing."

She pointed at Saint-Max. "That's why you have to accept The Watchdog's offer. They understand loss more than you ever will. They'll keep you in check while trying to save the world."