10.2| the clone wars.

"It's like I'm seeing a ghost," Saint-Max said.

"Speaking to your future self isn't that shocking compared to this?" The aged man scoffed. "Did you think just because someone is dead in your timeline, they're also dead here?"

"No. It's just..." Saint-Max bit his lower lip. "I watched their joint funeral."

"Do we also have to fight them?" Janice asked in a shaky voice. For the first time since getting powers, she looked afraid. She stood still, trembling.

"No. This is my fight," Future Saint-Max said. "Stand, sit, do whatever else, but don't interfere. I want this to be a fair fight for them. Just wait for the portal to open. It'll be any minute now."

The old man threw away his walking cane, then stretched his limbs. Shiver, Ice Princess, and Captain Tombstone watched him quietly. They were like soldiers paying respect to the war vet before killing him.

"How is it they haven't aged a day?" the unranked hero asked.

"They are clones. I killed the originals."

"But you said—"

"I know." The older man winked at him.

Saint-Max scoffed. If his future version was the superior version of himself, then he wanted to see just how strong he was. And what better way than fighting three of the strongest peculiars in Tombstone City.

"When you return to your timeline, remember that you have so much potential now that you know your true ability. Don't sit back and wither away into nothingness. Fight. Even if it's you against the world. Unlike me, the people you care about are alive. Protect them and everyone else."

Saint-Max nodded.

Frost swirled around Ice Princess' hand before forming a spear above her palm. She threw it at Future Saint-Max, who slapped it away with the back of his hand like it was nothing.

"Nonsense. Do you think you can kill me that easily?" he said with a frown.

"No," Captain Tombstone said, then lifted the metallic door Janice destroyed and threw it at the old man.

Future Saint-Max grabbed it without moving an inch, then threw it back with so much force, it thrust Captain Tombstone out of the room when he tried blocking it.

Shiver covered himself with ice armor and charged at the old man. He threw heavy punches and kicks that left cracks on the wall and floor when Future Saint-Max evaded them with ease.

The old man wasn't even using superspeed, yet he dealt with the three without sweating. Saint-Max doubted if the man would get his wish of dying in battle. He was too powerful.

Ice Princess increased the size of her frost, then transformed it into ten ice soldiers. "Attack!" she commanded them.

Future Saint-Max evaded each ice soldier like a figure skater, slapping the back of their heads without looking, destroying them. Then he charged at Ice Princess, using his superspeed. She didn't see him coming, getting punched and kicked a thousand times before he struck her with a back kick. She flew across the room and landed on the large wooden desk, breaking it.

"Is that all you got?" the old man asked.

Captain Tombstone and Shiver helped Ice Princess stand. The three glared at Future Saint-Max. Every move they did, he swatted it off like a fly. This was a battle between a veteran and amateurs, the latter lacking fighting experience against someone that powerful.

But from Saint-Max's perspective, the four superheroes' powers rivaled that of gods. It wasn't cowardice for him to admit he couldn't beat them. They'd kill him in a second.

"Together?" Ice Princess asked.

Captain Tombstone and Shiver nodded.

Shiver attacked first, stomping his foot, sending ice knives across the floor, attacking the old man from underneath. Future Saint-Max flew, which the three had expected. Ice Princess blew an ice breath, aiming for the old man's chest, but he crossed his arms forward and blocked it. And Captain Tombstone shot lasers from his eyes, aiming to decapitate him.

But the three didn't know about Future Saint-Max's overpowered healing factor.

Captain Tombstone clenched his hands and teeth, trying hard to cut off Future Saint-Max's head. But the old man healed himself instantly.

Shiver opened his arms and over a hundred ice bombs filled the space between them. He thrust his arms forward, sending the bombs at Future Saint-Max. They exploded a few inches from him.

At first, Saint-Max didn't understand why Shiver used such a weak move. Then he realized the clone blocked the old man's vision.

Future Saint-Max spun his hands like a wheel, removing the ice dust around him. The clones acted fast, rushing to attack him at the same time.

Captain Tombstone threw a punch which Future Saint-Max blocked with his head before thrusting him against the wall with a punch. Then he kicked Ice Princess' midsection, sending her tumbling on the floor, before elbowing Shiver's face, who fell on his knees, holding his broken nose.

"Is that all you got? Children would put up a better—" Future Saint-Max fell on one knee, clutching his chest, wheezing.

"What's wrong?" Saint-Max asked, lurching toward him.

"I overused my powers. My body can't keep up with them for long anymore."

"Do you need help?"

"Yes."

Saint-Max carried the old man to his chair. "What now?"

"Now I'm done." The dying man smiled. "I've lived a long life full of misery and regret. I don't want that for you. Promise me, no matter what happens, you won't lose yourself and go on a murderous rage."

The unranked hero bit his lower lip. "I won't."

"Good." Future Saint-Max pointed behind his younger self. "Look, Iness has opened the portal."

Saint-Max glanced behind him and saw it. Then he turned to the old man. "What about you? The three clones clearly can't kill you."

"They can't." The old man chuckled, blood running down his mouth. "Isn't it ironic that my greatest strength ended up killing me?"

Saint-Max smiled. "It is."

The old man grabbed the young one's hand. "Save your world, Saint-Max. Show them how powerful Lightfoot is."

"I will. Goodbye." Saint-Max went to Janice, who stood in front of the portal. It hummed while moving back and forth like a jellyfish. He glanced at the old man, who sat still, his unblinking eyes staring at the ceiling. Slowly, the room started disappearing, darkness taking its place and swallowing Future Saint-Max. "Rest in peace."

Saint-Max entered the portal and reappeared inside the bank, finding Janice and Dr. Iness waiting for him. Before the portal closed, the three clones came out of it.

"Dr. Iness!" Ice Princess said before hugging the old woman. "I missed you."

"Is he dead?" Dr. Iness asked.

"Yes."

The doctor acknowledged Captain Tombstone and Shiver with a nod.

"So, what now?" Saint-Max asked.

"Now you two play your part," Dr. Iness said. "Best of luck." She opened another portal, gave them a last glance, then left with the three clones.

Janice's phone rang. "Hello?" she answered. "Yes." She nodded. "Alright, we'll be there."

"Was that Tim?" the unranked hero asked.

"Yes. He told me where to find them."

"Alright, lead the way."

Janice smiled. "You better keep up."

"Always."

With that, Saint-Max ran while Janice flew out of the bank and towards their friends' location.

Total Words: 19,912.