Chapter 4

"That was a fantastic bout. You really are an incredible fencer." Logan grinned at Ava as they both stepped forward to shake hands. 

Ava returned the smile. "I told you I would win." 

"So you did. But I can't promise you'll always win them. Anyways how about we go out for some pizza after this? I don't know about you but I'm starved. And we have to celebrate making it on the team." 

Ava blushed. "I would love to, but I have to meet an, um, well my history tutor. We already set up a session. Some other time would be great though!" 

Logan looked at her curiously. "You need a tutor on the first day of school?" 

"Um, it's always good to get an early start?" Ava said hopefully.

Logan looked confused but smiled anyways. "Ok, well, let me know when you can go out some time."

"Of course!" Ava smiled. "See you at practice tomorrow!" She unhooked from the strip, grabbed her fencing bag, and headed to the locker room to meet up with Ashley and Avery.

As she passed Coach, Coach grinned at her. "That's the best I've seen you look in a while, King! You must have been practicing a lot over the summer!"

"Um not really. Just a normal amount." She shrugged and hurriedly slipped away. 

When she reached the locker room she stuffed her fencing bag in her locker and hurriedly took off all her jackets and sweaty clothes. She slid on her school clothes and hurried to the mirror to try and fix her now sweaty hair. 

"What's up? Got a date or something?" Ashley grinned at Ava as she slid on a pair of yoga pants and a baggy t-shirt. 

"Um, yes. Well, uh, I mean no. I have a tutoring session." Ava pulled her hair into a side braid. 

"Wait, really? Shouldn't the three of us go out to celebrate making the team?" Ashley sounded really confused.

"Why would Ava want to spend her time with us, Ashley? She thinks she's so much better than us." Avery snapped.

"I don't think I'm better than you guys!" Ava tried to reassure her.

"Oh really? You didn't tell me earlier today that I look awful compared to you? And that you were trying to have a life unlike me?" Avery glared.

"Wait, Ava, you said that?" Ashley was starting to become angry. "You used to dress this way too!" She pointed at her and Avery's t-shirts and sweat pants.

"Well those weren't my exact words." Ava pleaded. "And besides, sweat pants just look like you aren't trying! And I don't want to be a loser again this year! I want things to be different! Is that wrong?"

"What did you just say?" Ashley now looked pissed, her hands were clenched into fists. "Did you just call us losers?"

"Don't be so surprised, Ashley, she's changed." Avery snarled.

"Yeah, and not for the better." Ashley muttered.

"Wait, what? Who the hell are you guys to judge me? I can do whatever the heck I want!" Ava was yelling now.

"We thought we were your friends. Come on, Ashley. Let's go ask Logan if he wants to go celebrate with us. Maybe we're cool enough for him." Avery slammed her locker shut and stiffly walked out of the locker room, not looking at Ava.

"Oh yeah?" Ava shouted after her. "Well he already asked me out! So he wants to hang out with me more than you!"

"Don't worry about us, Ava," Ashley glared, "I'm sure he won't want to be around you once he realizes what an awful person you are." She turned on her heel and walked quickly out of the room.