Making It Work

Tomura heard the doorbell ring and jumped from his spot on the couch. He sighed in relief when he saw Natsuo walk to the door, open it, and grab a package.

"What did you order, Natsuo?" Tomura asked, returning to the game on his phone.

"Some artist gloves! I know you don't really need them anymore, but I thought you'd like some just in case," Natsuo smiled, dropping the package on the coffee table and opening it to reveal a few different pairs of artist gloves.

"Thank you," Tomura smiled at the gesture. He put his phone on the table and grabbed a dark red pair of gloves that covered his thumb and middle finger.

"You're welcome. How's your prosthetic feeling?" Natsuo sat close to Tomura, to the point that he could feel their shoulders touching.

He flexed his left hand and placed it in his lap, "it still feels weird, and it feels a little loose. I can use it; I'm not just used to it."

"Do you want me to adjust it?"

"Yeah, thank you."

"It's no problem, Tomura. You know, I like how sweet you're being," Natsuo adjusted the prosthetic and got up.

Tomura rolled his eyes and went back to his game, "what gave you that idea? Seriously, I need to fix it. I can't have anyone know I've gone soft for you. It would ruin my reputation."

Natsuo rolled his eyes and chuckled, "you care for your family, so I think your reputation is already ruined. In any case, you've been more patient and kind. You take the time to take care of people, even if it's chucking a water bottle and a sandwich at their face."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Hey, while you're in the kitchen, can you get me an apple?"

"Sure, no problem. You're cooking dinner tonight, right?" Natsuo tossed an apple at Tomura.

Tomura caught the apple and took a bite, "would sashimi be okay, Natsuo?"

"That would be great, Tomura. I'm going to go study; let me know when you need help!"

"Bold of you to assume that I need your help. I can cook miles better than you!" Tomura yelled as he saw Natsuo leave. He checked the time and realized he needed to start on dinner soon, so he got up, walked to the kitchen, and set the salmon on a cutting board. He meticulously cut the fish into thin slices.

It only took a few minutes to finish making the rest of the dish, and soon enough, it was done. Tomura set the table and called for Natsuo.

"Tomura, this looks delicious, thank you," Natsuo smiled as he came out of his room and sat at the table.

"You're welcome. Studying for any major tests?"

"Nope. I'm interning at a hospital in Musutafu; I figured I would get a lot of experience because of how common villain attacks are over there..." Natsuo chuckled nervously and rubbed his neck.

"That's fair enough; you'll be able to heal many different types of injuries because of how varied our quirks are, so it'll be good practice. How long have you been interning?"

"Around a year, I finished high school early and applied to medical school to get away from home. I wasn't allowed to intern until I was eighteen."

"I see. Glad that you got out of that crappy situation when you did."

"Yeah, so am I." Natsuo smiled before continuing, "Hey, what was your family like?"

Tomura thought for a moment before shrugging. 'Eh, what the hell.'

"Current family or pre-quirk family?"

"Hm, pre-quirk, I guess. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Natsuo took a bite of fish.