𝟑

"Are you kidding me?" I exclaimed, my voice filled with disbelief

"No, we're not," my parents replied, trying to calm me down.

"You want me to move in with a stranger? What if he's a pervert or something?" I yelled, my frustration growing.

"Amelia, we understand it's challenging for you with your condition, but Daphnie is a very close friend of mine. She has agreed to take you in, and her son is not a pervert," my mother explained, attempting to reassure me.

"Just think about it and let us know your decision.  Daphnie said you could move in today if you're ready," she added.

The idea of moving in with a complete stranger seemed absurd and dangerous. Thoughts raced through my mind, imagining all the worst-case scenarios.

Sitting on my bed, I took a deep breath and realized that it might be the best option for me. Staying here was unbearable after everything I had been through. I reached for my daily pills, reminding myself of their importance in managing my condition.

Packing my belongings into a suitcase, I gathered only the necessities. There was no one to bid farewell to, as if it would make a difference in my life. Perhaps it had once, but not anymore.

I went downstairs to join my parents, making up my mind. "Let's go. I'm ready," I said with a mix of determination and apprehension.

The journey to Daphnie's place took around three hours. When we arrived, I gazed at the apartment building with its black and white painted walls. The sight of the vibrant garden filled with fresh roses and plants gave me a glimmer of hope. The exterior seemed promising, and I hoped the inside would be just as welcoming.

Together with my parents and brother, we entered the building, where we were greeted by a woman with a warm smile.

"You must be Amelia. I'm Daphnie," she said, extending her hand.

"Yes, nice to meet you," I replied, feeling a sense of relief from her friendly demeanor. My mom was right, Daphnie seemed caring and cheerful.

"I've prepared your room on the second floor with everything you might need. I hope you'll like it," she said, her enthusiasm evident.

"That's very kind of you. Thank you," I said, grateful for her thoughtfulness.

My parents mentioned that they needed to talk to  Daphnie privately, likely discussing my heart condition. Meanwhile, my brother, Asher, pulled me aside.

"If you don't like it here at any point, call me and I'll bring you back home all right?" My brother said.

"If her son gives you any trouble or makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, let me know. I'll kick his balls for you. Don't let anyone take advantage of you," he warned, a protective tone in his voice.

I laughed at his overprotective nature and hugged him tightly. "I'll miss you, Asher. Please come visit me during the holidays," I said.

As my parents and brother finished their conversation with Daphnie, they bid me farewell and left.

"Amelia, I won't be home most of the time due to work, but if you need anything or feel uncomfortable, don't hesitate to call me," Daphnie assured me, offering her support.

She said with a warm smile, gesturing towards the surroundings.

"Thank you so much for allowing me to stay here," I expressed my gratitude sincerely.

"It's no problem at all. My son is still in his room, but I'll call him down later. It's quite rude of him not to come and greet such a pretty girl like you,"  Daphnie commented playfully, causing me to blush at her compliment.

As I took a moment to familiarize myself with the new environment, my gaze landed on a figure seated on the couch, facing away from me. The boy seemed absorbed in his music, with his headphones on and engrossed in his phone.

Curiosity piqued, I couldn't help but notice that his light brown and dark mixed hair resembled someone I knew. In a swift motion, he turned around, and our eyes met.

Before Daphnie could introduce him, my attention was completely captured by those familiar brown eyes—the shade of acorns, just as I remembered.

mysterious boy really be mysterious

vote + comment