𝟏

Death is a body or shadow that lurks in the dark, it crawls under little children's beds and is always there

It is always there, following you and the closer it gets the sooner it will take you as its own.

The ghost that people fear and is the tormentor of the many corpses claimed by death.

You know when your time is nearing its end because you can feel the chill of its icy breath as it tickles the hairs on the back of your neck.

Beep, beep, beep.

The sound of machines whirring and the heart monitor beeping brought me out of my trance.

The familiar smell of sanitizer and medicines filled my nose. Most people would gag at the odour; even I did when I first got here.

Unfortunately, I had to get used to everything that came with frequenting the hospital, including the smell, needles, and lots of pills.

Since I was a child, everyone told me the same thing over and over again.

"Don't do any strenuous exercise, if you feel like you can't breathe, immediately stop whatever you're doing. Avoid going inside the water for too long because it will cause your lungs to feel contracted."

A sudden sense of suffocation strangled me as I tried to breathe, failing miserably.

I pressed the red emergency button as soon as I felt something come up my throat. Spitting it out, blood covered my hands, my blanket, my dressing gown.

The white surfaces were now stained in a horrible crimson color. I held onto the side of the table for support as my heart rate started to increase, the heart monitor beeping incessantly louder.

Nurses and doctors hurriedly filed in, pushing me down onto the bed and prodding me hard.

A nurse quickly attached the IV drip on the side of my bed to my hand, checking the information before removing a syringe, filled with a greenish-yellow liquid. She injected it into me, and I slowly felt myself relaxing. Relief. I was safe.

My breathing stabilized as the nurses cleaned up my bed and the table, changing me out of my hospital gown while the doctor took a blood sample. He gave me a pitiful, sympathetic smile before leaving.

This sudden feeling of suffocation could happen anytime, just like now. But why was there blood?

I was different.

I had a special condition affecting my heart, causing it to be really weak. Ever since I was born, my parents were constantly worried about me.

I had an extremely high risk of dropping dead anywhere.

My parents came back into the room shortly after, faces pulled into frowns and oceans staining their cheeks.

There was definitely something wrong. Narrowing my eyes, I leaned forward, inspecting them curiously before letting the dreaded question escape my lips.

"What is it?"

Their eyes widened in shock before my dad shook his head indicating nothing was the matter.

I could feel my curiosity increase. What could the doctors have told them?

Sighing, I settled back into the pillows. "Eventually you will have to tell me, now is a better time" I stated, watching their reactions.

My father sighed softly, walking to sit beside me.
"Amelia, we will figure this out together, I promise"

What did he mean?

"The doctors said you only have around six months maximum to live," he said, a tear dripping down his cheek.

My mother let out a heart-wrenching sob, collapsing in the chair beside my bed and reaching out to intertwine my hand with hers.

Six months to live.

Those words echoed through my ears, a dreaded mantra as what was to come. Six months to live. Six months to live. I could feel the blood rush through my veins.

Tears filled my eyes but I didn't let them break through, instead choosing to disconnect the wires plugged to my heart and the IV drip connected to my arm.

If I were to live my last months, I would rather do it somewhere else than in a hospital.

"Amelia, please stop!" My mother exclaimed, trying to grab my arms. Thrashing in her arms, I could feel the hot tears running down my cheeks, dripping onto the bed.

My brother, Asher ran into the room, spotting me throwing a fit on the bed and my mother clutching onto me before walking towards me and grabbing onto my arms.

Letting go of me, my mother pursed her lips, tears dried up, and scurried out of the room, my father following her.

I took all precautions, gave up my life for this stupid condition. I did everything I could and this was what I got in return?

Six months to live.

183 days left.

4392 hours till death.

𝑨𝑼𝑻𝑯𝑶𝑹'𝑺 𝑵𝑶𝑻𝑬:

𝑨𝑼𝑻𝑯𝑶𝑹'𝑺 𝑵𝑶𝑻𝑬:

hope I wasn't that harsh on the first chapter but I needed it to be exciting. <3

  vote + comment