𝟏𝟕

I woke up to the bright sun shining into my eyes, the golden rays casting a warm glow in the room

I woke up to the bright sun shining into my eyes, the golden rays casting a warm glow in the room. But as I turned to where Lucas should have been, the sheets were empty and cold. He wasn't a morning person, so I expected him to still be by my side.

Confused, I scanned the room, searching for any sign of Lucas. I checked the bathroom, but he wasn't there either. No text, no explanation. Did he just have his way with me and leave, treating me like one of his one-night stands?

"Where's Lucas?" I asked, spotting Ethan in the kitchen.

"He said he won't be back for a while. He's got things to take care of," Ethan replied.

He slept with me and left without a word of explanation. Does he think I'm just another disposable toy to him? He's nothing but a liar.

He kissed me, planted thoughts in my head, made me believe he wanted me. But in reality, we were nothing, just as he said. And we will always be nothing. Anger built up inside me like steam, burning as it made its way out.

"What things?"

"I have no idea, Amelia. But for now, it looks like we'll have to go to school on our own. Most of my classes are in the afternoon. Can you manage by yourself?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I replied, trying to push aside my frustration.

As I walked through the hallways, I noticed some photos of Lucas that I hadn't seen before. One picture hung on the wall, showing Aunt Daphnie carrying Lucas in her arms. Lucas had a wide smile, with one of his baby teeth missing. I couldn't help but smile at the sight.

Beside it was another photo of Lucas with Aunt Daphnie, but this time there was a man holding Lucas's hands and another with his arm around Aunt Daphnie's waist.

He bore a resemblance to Lucas, indicating that he was Lucas's father. The corner of the photo was burnt, as if someone had tried to destroy it. Neither Lucas nor Aunt Daphnie had ever mentioned him, so he must have passed away.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Lucas's number, but it went straight to voicemail. I tried again, but there was no answer.

Frustrated, I left him a voicemail, screaming into the phone, demanding to know where he was.

His suitcase, along with many of his clothes and suits, was also missing from his wardrobe.

Just then, my phone started ringing, displaying Elijah's name on the screen. I realized it had been a while since I heard from him.

I answered the call, and Elijah's voice resonated through the phone.

"Hey, Amelia? How about grabbing a bite together today? I haven't heard from you in a while."

"I'm not really in the mood today, but how about next week?" I replied.

"Sure, I'm free anytime. By the way, do you know where Lucas went?"

"You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"He went to find his fiancée," Elijah revealed.

Upon hearing those words, my hands slipped, causing the phone to fall to the floor with a thud. Elijah's voice faded as he asked if I was still there.

I picked up the phone, muttered that I had to go, and ended the call.

The word "fiancée" echoed in my mind, and I wanted to slap myself for being so naive. I had known from the start, when I accidentally walked into his room and saw him with someone else, that he was a jerk. Yet, I allowed myself to be played by him.

He shattered my heart much earlier than I thought anyone could. But from this moment on, Lucas Carter is completely erased from my life.

I grabbed the roses he had given me the day I was discharged from the hospital and flung them across the room. The vibrant red petals scattered, hitting the wall, while a few floated gently to the ground. The bouquet was left with only a few petals clinging to the stalk.

In that moment, I saw those petals as a reflection of myself—helpless, wilted, and fragile. But I refused to let Lucas have any more power over me. From now on, he was non-existent, and I vowed to never associate myself with him again.

Ethan approached me, his concern evident in his voice. "I think Lucas mentioned he'll be back in a week," he said.

"I don't ever want to hear that name again," I declared, determination resolute in my tone.

𝑨𝑼𝑻𝑯𝑶𝑹'𝑺 𝑵𝑶𝑻𝑬:

It's been long, but here's the awaited update! It's kind of a filler chapter but I was getting my plot sorted out!

thank you for reading <3

  vote + comment