Chapter 15 - In the Middle o' Nowhere

"Pass the lighter," Harry muttered, a cigarette between his lips.

"If you're gonna smoke, go outside." Jay handed a small, bright red lighter to the short haired man.

He fiddled with it for a moment, failing to make it ignite.

"Damn thing's outta fluid." He chucked it across the floor. "Thought I told ya to buy another."

"I'm not leaving."

"We been livin' in this cabin for two years, if someone were after us they woulda made their move already. It wouldn't kill ya to get groceries once in a while." Harry spoke as if the argument had been rehearsed. He set the cigarette on their regularly dusted countertop.

"I told you I'm not going into town. Some posters are still up and if someone sees–"

"We live in the middle o' nowhere."

"Fifteen more years and we can be declared dead."

"You're goin' to live here for fifteen years before goin' anywhere?! Seein' anyone??"

"I have you."

"Ya, well, not for much longer."

There was a brief pause.

"What?" Jay questioned.

"Uma sent a letter."

"You told her where we live? We barely have an address."

"Jay... it's gonna be five years in November. I miss 'er more than anythin'. The letter said where I can meet her."

"Harry–"

"I'm goin'. Maybe it's time ya reach out to Mal."

Jay hated himself for considering the option.

"I haven't contacted her since I ditched my phone which was about... nine months ago. I have no way to find her."

Harry, who had been standing in the far corner closest to their bed, moved closer to Jay, sitting cross legged on the couch. Their cabin was only one large room aside from the bathroom on the side. Being mid-April, they had no use for the wood burning stove that was permanently secured to the opposite side of the cabin. Jay complained about its appearance often, but Harry claimed it added to the "aesthetic".

"I could ask Uma."

"No," the long haired man declined the offer immediately. "Reunions are dangerous. Makes you easier to find."

"Don't ya wonder–or worry about everyone else? It's selfish. It's selfish to wait for 'em to come to you."

"I don't want them to come to me!" Jay stood with a start. "I don't want to be found! Don't you think that if I wanted to be found I wouldn't have moved to Wisconsin in the first place?! The only reason you're here is because you were–"

He stopped himself. Swallowing hard, he looked at the hard wood floors and crossed his arms in a huff. His jaw clenched momentarily before he looked up again, locking eyes with the tall man before him. He took in Harry's eyes, their sharp blue tint always having captivated him, and took a pitiful deep breath.

Having collected himself, he spoke, "The only reason you're here... is because of Mal."