Chapter 6 - Two Interns

A dedicated intern with straight blonde hair sat poised at her workspace. What used to be a single empty coffee cup on her desk by midday, this week, turned into two. Giving up the photography internship years ago had sparked a revelation in Jenny's mind. She was really a woman of business, not art, and while it may be a fun hobby, it was too risky of a career choice for her. Already a year ahead in her college courses, she took up two internships with corporations she hoped would offer her job opportunities after graduating business school and earning her masters.

"You know those reports aren't due for another three weeks, right?" The dark brown, really it was black, haired intern she had befriended stood over her.

"You know you don't have to procrastinate all your work, right?" she hissed. There was nothing she hated more than being disturbed while "in the zone".

"You're cute when you're annoyed. Wanna grab some pizza at Mario's when you're finished which I'm guessing will be in the next fifteen minutes."

"Ten if you stop talking to me. And no, I hate that place."

"Why, because of–"

"Yeah because of that," she cut him off. "Just because it's the closest pizza place to our building doesn't mean we have to eat there. I'm in the mood for Chinese anyways." She turned away from the curly-haired guy and continued typing away her frustrations, a habit she had picked up on recently. He asked her about "that" constantly and she figured she'd die before explaining why "that" in particular was so important. And how it was the beginning of a new chapter in her life. A chapter that ended in heartbreak.

"You know, you can talk about it." His voice turned sincere and calm. "Maybe it'll help–"

"Please just shut up," Jenny enunciated clearly. "I'll be done quicker if you leave me alone and then we can go get food." She waved him away like a queen directing her servant. He raised his hands innocently and stepped back from her.

"Whatever floats your boat."