Chapter 17 - Holding Signs

Rushing through the city in hopes to make it to his apartment before the storm set in, Carlos kept his head down and clutched his bag to his side. He had just had his suit dry cleaned for the meeting he was coming back from and refused to risk getting it ruined. He pushed past pedestrians on the sidewalk, only a few blocks from his apartment. Just as he turned a corner, he collided with a taller, bigger man and grunted.

"Hey, man!" a familiar voice greeted. "Don't I know you?"

Carlos looked up to see two gentle brown eyes staring back at him. He couldn't believe who stood before him. This bearded man, wearing a sack, a beige baseball cap, and holding a piece of cardboard that read WILL DANCE FOR MONEY, was the last person Carlos expected to see. Hastily, the shorter man shoved the stranger into the alley next to them and under an awning.

"What are you doing here?" Carlos interrogated in a harsh whisper.

"Um... holding a sign."

"You're homeless?"

"No, I live on the streets."

"Why are you here? I thought you went to Texas."

"No, Doug went to Texas. Evie went to New York, then to Oregon. Mal went to Pennsylvania. Jay I think is in Wisconsin. Ben stayed in Auradon to fight evil. Uma... pretty sure she's in Florida."

"How do you know where everyone is?!"

"Oh, it's on the paper in my back pocket." The man reached into the back pocket of his torn jeans and handed Carlos a folded paper.

"I really want to be mad at you for keeping a paper trail of everyone's locations, but it's kind of nice to see it all laid out. Are these accurate?"

"Well, you're here, aren't you?" He fiddled with his thumbs like a nervous child.

"How come I haven't seen you before?"

"People like me... holding signs... we're kinda invisible. I mean, look at you"–he gestured to Carlos's outfit–"You're in a suit. Carrying a leather bag. I'm literally wearing a potato sack." He chuckled. "Kept the brown theme going, like back in..." His cheerful expression dropped. "That place we're not supposed to talk about."

"When was the last time you ate something?"

"Oh, I ate earlier. Yeah, there's these black bins in every corner. Filled with all kinds of stuff."

"Trash cans?" The dark haired man grimaced. "How 'bout I make you some lunch?"