Chapter 13 Revenge

NO POV

The sun was starting to set on Vale. In a small ramen shop sat three people, all of them ghoul investigators. The most notable of them was Cardin Winchester; along with him were his two associates Kusaba and Nakajimi. All three of them took part in the death of Ryouko. 

Kusaba: Excuse me Mr. Winchester?

Cardin: Yeah what is it?

Kusaba: I was just wondering, was it true you were at the battle of Atlas?

Cardin: Yeah I was there.

Kusaba: What was it like fighting ghouls for the first time?

Nakajimi: Kusaba you shouldn't talk about stuff like that.

Cardin: Don't worry it's fine. To be honest, I was terrified when I first saw them. I already was in a bad shape after losing half my team, and now I had to fight these monsters that looked just like ordinary humans. It was to much for me, in the end I just acted like a coward. To this day I still remember the ghouls ripping apart soldiers vividly. 

Kusaba: Damn, I'm sorry, I didn't know. 

Cardin: Don't be, it's just the nature of the job. This event changed me for the better, I went back to school, study hard, trained hard, and worked my way up. And now for the first time in my life, I can say I'm proud of myself. 

Cardin got up and left money on the counter. 

Cardin: Take care, I'll see you back in the office. 

And then he left. Soon afterwards Kusaba and Nakajimi left too. The two of them walked together down the empty street. 

Nakajimi: This is why you don't pry into other people's lives idiot. 

Kusaba: I said I was sorry, besides I didn't know it was that bad. 

Nakajimi: Everyone knows how bloody that battle was.

Kusaba: You know I can't help but feel inspired by Investigator Winchester. 

Nakajimi: What makes you say that?

Kusaba: He said it himself, he used to be arrogant and greedy and though he was the best. But then after he realized he wasn't he changed. He worked hard and got stronger and is now a great ghoul investigator. He's rise up in the organization and doesn't even care about it. All he cares about is justice. I wish I could be like him. 

Nakajimi: You have a long way to go before you could be like him. 

The two then went under a bridge. 

Kusaba: I know, but that doesn't mean I can't get better. We don't have to spend the rest of our careers in the office. We could become investigators ourselves and do more good out there. 

Nakajima: I don't know about me but you can give it a shot. 

They then appeared on the other side. 

Kusaba: Okay then, starting now I begin by my mission of becoming a...

Something dashed past them, Kusaba's glasses broke and fell to the ground.  His eyes were wide as blood started to leak from his mouth. And then his whole head fell off. Nakajimi screamed and backed away. 

Nakajima: What...what...what the hell!

???: Ah what's wrong, your friend there seems a little tired.

Nakajima turned around and looked up. Sitting on the bridge was ghoul wearing a purple cloak and covered in bandages.