Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Spin."

"Again?"

"Yes, again."

Morgan's words had me sighing but I held my tongue and shimmied in a small, awkward circle. The girl laying across the room on my bed grimaced, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth. Meatloaf was curled into a ball at her chest, purring away under Morgan's hand – which hadn't stopped petting her since the two of them laid down.

"Well?" I asked, bracing a hand on my hip. "What do you think? Is it good enough?"

She'd been having me try on dresses for the better part of an hour. Apparently, the event tonight was formal. Something she'd chosen to nicely omit until she showed up at my apartment an hour ago dressed in a silk, burgundy suit and with a white lace dress shirt telling me I had to change out of my jeans and sweater.

"Thank God your cat is hairless and won't get any fur on my clothes," she'd grinned before inviting herself in. "Now let's see what we've got to work with, hm?"

Not a lot was the unfortunate answer.

I didn't have a ton of dresses, other than the one I'd worn to Damien's masquerade but according to Morgan, it would be "in poor taste" to show up wearing the same thing I'd worn last time. When I'd asked if all the same people would even be at this event, she'd only waved her arm and said some.

"It's a bit..." Morgan was eyeing over my current selection. An ankle-length, loose-fitting pink dress. "Bland. I wanna say... old woman escaped her hospital room kinda vibe?"

"Oh God," I rushed over to the mirror, wincing at my appearance. "That bad?"

Morgan jumped off the bed. She approached me from behind, cocking her head to the side and met my gaze in the reflection. "Do you have anything a little more," she reached forward, balling the material of my dress in her fist and pulled it taut against my body, "slutty? Something that shows off your curves?"

"We're going for slutty?" I asked, whirling around to face her.

She bit her lip, the corners of her mouth curling upwards in a small grin. "We're going for revenge, baby."

"Mm," I chewed on my inner cheek.

Harry and I hadn't spoken since our respective outbursts at Devil's Due. It wasn't that we normally talked on a regular basis, to begin with nor had I expected him to apologize for anything that had gone on, but it was still unnerving not knowing what I was going to be walking into tonight.

We weren't friends. We weren't even acquaintances. We were two people shackled to one another under disturbing circumstances. I understood that. That meant I shouldn't feel guilty about doing something that could possibly upset him. So why did I?

The only communication I'd gotten from his side of the world had been with Morgan. Surprisingly, she was really easy to talk to – a far cry from who she hung around with. I'd originally texted her just so that she had my contact and to figure things out for today, but it had turned into an entire conversation that spanned days and suddenly we were talking about the most random, obscure things and planning shopping trips together.

"I'll look," Morgan gave my waist a squeeze and retreated to my closet. I went over and sat on the bed with a huff, falling onto my back. Meatloaf promptly crawled onto my chest seconds later.

"Good luck," I muttered. "I don't really wear a ton of–"

"River!" Morgan scolded, sauntering out of my closet. I scrambled to sit up, placing my cat beside me. "Did you happen to miss this lovely article of clothing?"