ch.1: the life of an immortal

p.o.v. xianliang

I always expected the life as an immortal to be fun, that I'll be at ease and that I can do whatever I want. But hey, good morning, it's not like that at all.

Every day is the same, there's not much to do and I mostly just lay around in my bed and read the same boring poems over and over again. The food here isn't even half as good as the one on earth and the people here...mostly old people or the most boring and bland personalities to ever exist. No one here dares to gossip or talk bad about others, not even thinking of ever throwing a fist. Back on earth there were some fights somewhere everyday.

,,Lu Hanyu, are you even listening?'', my brother asked annoyed as I was spacing out. ,,Mhm?''

,,'Mhm', that's all you have to say? I was talking to you for at least ten minutes!''

,,Oh my dear brother, could you please repeat what you just said? The selfishly being of mine wasn't paying attention.'', I mocked him.

,,You piece of-'', he was about to punch me. ,,Excuse me, what is this behavior?'', one of our elders interrupted him.

,,Ah, Master Song...'' We quickly stood up and bowed down.

,,Were you scolding your little brother again?'', he asked instead of scolding Mingyue.

,,Hey! What-''

,,Yes, because he was ignoring me and wasn't paying any attention for ten minutes.''

The elder nodded. ,,I see, I see..Where was your mind, Hanyu?''

,,Ah, haha..I was..just..-'' ,,Thinking about the Mortal Realm again, as always?'', the master didn't have to let me finish speaking to guess my answer.

,,Master, how did you know..?''

,,I know you really well already. Since you opened your eyes for the very first time, to be exact.''

I sighed. ,,It's so boring here...''

,,You should've thought about that before becoming a cultivator.'', my brother half-heartily joked.

,,I had no choice anyway. You know how bad our clan's condition was..''

,,Don't mention it..''

,,Qinxin-jun, Do you miss the old life of yours?'', Master Song suddenly asked.

Without having to think about it much, I answered. ,,Yes, I really do..but..''

,,How long will this keep bothering your mind?''

,,Brother, you're in no place to judge me..You never experienced it and didn't even know my Wenyan that well...'' I felt my eyes getting watery when saying this name out loud again after so many years.

,,Oh come on..Not him again.''

,,Who was this again? This name seems fairly familiar to me..'', the elder was thinking hard.

I gulped. ,,Tao Chengxin....''

,,Right, Chengxin..I still remember this young man quite well. You two were close, weren't you?''

,,Too close.'', Mingyue was getting annoyed when hearing this name.

,,Have you ever been back in the Mortal Realm after his death?''

,,I couldn't dare to..And still can't..''

,,It's not that deep, Hanyu.''

,,What do you even know?!''

,,Hey, youngsters, stop fighting already.''

Tears started rolling down my face. I miss him so bad...