ch.3: a new friend

p.o.v. xianliang

,,Sorry..?'' ,,I..don't know how old I am.''

Yusheng bursted out laughing. ,,How can you forget how old you are?'' ,,I just did. Guess I already experienced a lot..''

,,That's still very odd.'', Xuhuan-jun added suspicious. What the hell am I supposed to say? ,,Oh, now would you look at the time? It's getting late..'', I improvised and stood up.

,,Where are you going?'', Yusheng asked confused. ,,Home..?'' ,,I thought you're from very far away?'' ,,I'll find some inn to stay at or something..'' Quickly I left the Qin Clan's territory and tried to find a place to stay at over night.

After looking and asking around for hours it already started getting dark outside. Well, guess it's camping today. I sat down under a big cherry blossom tree and tried making myself comfortable with some grass and leaves. Even though it was already a while after midnight, it was really light outside due to the full moon. This reminds me of so many moments with Wenyan. I wonder if he also thought about our moments as much as I did. Did he even think of them that much? Sighing I closed my eyes. If I could just ask him all that. ,,Good night, my dear..'' I started getting sleepy.

,,You're going to freeze to death if you stay here until tomorrow morning.'', someone suddenly said. I opened my eyes and looked upwards, meeting eyes with Xuhuan-jun. ,,Ah..what are you doing here..?''

,,I was pretty sure that you won't find a place to stay at anymore around this time of the year.'' ,,What do you mean?'' ,,It's Yusheng's father's birthday in two days and every year there's a spring festival, created especially for him. Many people visit Jiangsu just to visit the festival and bring offerings to the Qin Clan's temple.'' ,,I see..Maybe I'll give it a visit...'' Calmly he sat down next to me. ,,Who were you talking to?'' ,,Huh?'' How did he hear that? ,,You were saying good night to someone..You looked quite peaceful.''

I chuckled fondly. ,,Just someone that I've already lost years ago..'' ,,What happened to them?'' ,,Do we have to-'' ,,It's fine.'' ,,This moment reminds me of the times I've had with this person..'' ,,You should look forward. Always keeping these memories in your heart is a wonderful thing, isn't it?'' ,,I'd rather re-live them once again...'' ,,You seem like you trust others easily.'' I turned my head towards him. ,,What makes you think that?'' ,,You just told me all this without me having to ask much.''

,,God..I'm sorry..Blame my melancholy on the full moon, I didn't even notice how much I was telling you..'' ,,No, no, it's fine. I love listening to other people's thoughts or opinions.'' ,,You're so kind, thanks.''

,,Can I ask you a question?'', he asked after we kept quiet for a few seconds. ,,Go on.'' ,,You're not a mortal, aren't you?'' This mysterious guy looked at me with big eyes. ,,How did you notice?'' He slightly laughed: ,,You don't know your age but look like a twenty-year-old. Isn't that enough to be suspicious about?'' Am I actually that dumb...? Not raising too much attention, worked great! ,,Yeah, okay. I'm an immortal...'' ,,I knew it!'' He smiled all proud.

,,But if I had just told you some random age, would you've still guessed I'm an immortal?'' ,,Actually, I had this weird feeling when I was around you. I guess I felt there was a fellow immortal next to me.'' ,,That's interesting.''

,,Soo..Now tell me, what kind of immortal are you?'' ,,I'm a normal immortal that ascended to heaven after becoming a successful cultivator. Nothing's really special about that.'' ,,Hey, don't say it like that. Not every cultivator is so talented that he can just ascend to heaven! Some just stay Earth Immortals like me..I've never been to heaven.'' ,,You're missing out on nothing.'' ,,Uhm..?'' ,,Heaven is so boring, seriously. There's nothing to do except reading poems, writing poems or meditating. That's also one of the reasons I came back to the Mortal Realm.''

Xuhuan-jun cleared his throat, seeming like he's thinking about something before hesitatingly asking: ,,What is the other reason you came here? You...don't have to tell me.'' He's trying so hard to not make me feel uncomfortable.

,,This person..'' ,,I see..Have you ever been to the Mortal Realm after ascending?'' I shook my head. ,,I was too scared.'' ,,Of what?'' ,,Even just saying his name out loud is too hard for me..'' 'His'...Now he's gonna think I'm weird..Talking about another man like that isn't right... ,,Seems like he was very special to you.'' ,,The sun will rise soon..'', I said without answering him. ,,Let's go back to the Qin Clan. There's a room you can stay in.'' ,,Thank you..''