ch.10: secrets over secrets

p.o.v. xianliang

I made my way to the Ying Clan, which was settled in Sichuan. Afterwards I felt kind of bad, leaving Xuxu all alone in Jiangsu. Especially when he just had this breakdown yesterday. But I had to prioritize finding Emperor Ying and also finding out how the hell he managed to become an immortal despite having killed and abused so many people in his life.

Luckily I still remembered how to find the Ying Clan's property thanks to having been there quite a few times in my past life. As soon as I reached the final path that leads to the main gates, I felt such a weird atmosphere. There was this strong smell of blood, I could also smell deceased flesh and somehow even expensive perfume. Someone must have walked past here just a short while ago - and when I'm talking about someone, I'm talking about none other than Emperor Ying. It'd be better if he doesn't find out I'm back in the Mortal Realm.

When I passed through the gates, I tried finding a place to hide at. There was a small storage room in which I sneaked inside as quiet as possible. Now I got to think of how to find the boss of this property.

! TW: mention of sex with age gap!

So...When I go left from the entrance, there's the kitchen. When I just go forwards I'll reach the stairs which finally reach up to the Silence Room, the Halls of Amusement and the private rooms of Emperor Ying. Most of the times he was in the Halls of Amusement or his room, the Silence Room, to...have some fun with younger men. During the time I met Wenyan, there was this trend among male royalties and wealthy people to have romantic relationships and very intimate experiences with other, mostly, much younger men. For most people just the fact that there are men who get so close to other men shocked them to death. These young men usually looked very feminine and innocent. And this attracted some royalties. Actual romantic relationships weren't known and the emperors themself didn't accept that. The only thing that was okay was sex between them, no feelings.

! End of TW !
Anyways, I should probably check that room first. I peaked around the corner to make sure no one was around. On tip-toes I walked to the stairs and upwards. It was very quiet since it was already ten in the evening and no one was outside around this time. Suddenly I heard someone talk, then giggle and some kissing sounds. Yeah, someone's having fun. But where?

I went after these sounds which turned out to, of course, come out of the bed room. Carefully I opened the door, and peaked through the slim gap. All I could see was Emperor Ying, sitting on the corner of his bed, making out with a guy laying under him. Wow, okay, this guy looks pretty young... Much younger than him... That's just disgusting. Is he paying him to do that?

What even- ,,Oh, do we have a little spy?~", Emperor Ying suddenly turned his head to the door, let go of his lover and walked towards the door. Fuck, what am I supposed to do?! I looked left and right, the hallway is endless, there's nowhere to hide anymore...

He pushed open the door and the door and smiled at me. ,,Now you're a pretty one, aren't you?"

Before letting him look at me any longer, I took a few steps back and just started running, without even knowing where to run. It was too late now to hide, so I had to keep running. Down the endless hallway, pushing guards out of the way, jumping down five stair steps at once. I'm such a joke. Thinking of going here like a hero, even talking to Emperor Ying in my dreams. I kept all this hate towards him inside for the last years. Now it's back after looking at him, seeing his disgusting face, hearing this creature's voice, seeing him destroy another innocent boy's life. But who knows, maybe he wanted that. Maybe he's even getting paid. After all, that's not my business.

I continued running as fast as I could and had to take another way than through the main gate, since there were a lot of guards. This other way was jumping over a fence, well, for me it was more of a running into the fence, getting stuck and tripping. While I was trying to free the gown from the fence, I heard someone follow me.

,,Hey, you! Disrespecting the Emperor could give you the Death Penalty, who do you think you are?!"

Xuxu, I'm sorry, but my life is more important right now than your gown...

I quickly ripped it off and started running again. This time, not looking back, thinking of where the fastest way was. After a few seconds I decided the way over the river was the fastest.

Almost out of breath I made my way across the river, even though swimming has never been my greatest talent or passion. What will I tell Xuxu?

'Oh hey, I just went to Sichuan, completely risked my life and identity for nothing.'

But the question I'm asking myself right now is, why is he so sensitive about this topic? What did Emperor Ying do to him and why does he care so much about me being honest with him? It's not like we're best friends or something.

About half an hour later I finally spotted the gates of the Qin Clan, which I almost ran into. Just a few centimeters before, I stopped, quickly opened it, then closed it. God...this was just a waste of time. I was trying to breathe properly again and went to my room as quiet as possible, since it was kind of late already. Before I could even open the door, Xuxu suddenly appeared from behind a corner.

,,Hanyu, you're back...", he softly said and looked at me for a split second.

,,Mhm, here I am.."

,,Where have you been?"

,,I can't tell you, sorry."

,,Are you fine?", he just answered without asking about my whereabouts any further. I didn't expect that..I thought he'd keep asking and asking until I told him everything.

,,I am...but the gown isn't..."

Xuxu slightly gasped, wanted to say something, but held himself back and just sighed. ,,It's just a gown after all."

,,But you said it was very expensive.."

,,As long as you're not injured or anything, it's okay. You should go to sleep now, Hanyu. It's late already.."

There it was again, his distant side. How am I supposed to become his friend if he just changes his personality like day and night?

,,Why are you being like this?"

He turned his head to face me. ,,Like what?"

,,One moment you're so affectionate and desperate to become my friend, the other one you're distant and can't even look me in the eyes.", I spoke my mind.

,,You don't know me that well to just assume this. What if this is just my personality?"

,,You're the one who wanted to become my friend so bad!"

,,Good night."

Without any emotions he just left. Doesn't really seem like he still wants to be my friend.