TWENTY-TWO

══════════════════

══════════════════

"Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. You are the one I turn to for help in moments of weakness and times of need. Let him be filled with patience and joy in your presence as he waits for your healing touch. Please restore your servant to full health, dear Father. Remove all fear and doubt from his heart by the power of your Holy Spirit, and may you, Lord, be glorified through his life. Amen."

I roll my eyes as my mum finishes her prayer. I exchange a quick glance with Monica, who gives me a sympathetic look. Both women have managed to keep their claws away while we wait for someone to come and tell us what's going on with Joel, but that tension is so high I can feel it with every breath.

"I thought the idea of the coma was to stop that from happening." Monica sighs after her words.

"As I understood it, it was to try and stop the damage to the brain, almost give it a rest. I'm not a doctor," I say.

"The Lord will heal him, I believe it," Mum mutters at the table. Neither Monica nor I acknowledge her presence. I don't even know why she visited: no one wants her here, and she knows it, but she decided to turn up twenty minutes ago anyway. Just in time for her to start telling us how Joel needs God's hands of healing and how this is God's will.

If this was anyone else, I would accept and appreciate their prayers, but because it's Mum, I just can't find it in me.

My phone buzzes. 'Let me know what happens. I can be there if you need me.' Nicholas.

I message back: 'I should be fine. Thank you.'

It takes all my restraint not to message and ask for him to be here so I can bury myself in his arms, that he can engulf me with his hypnotising scent and comfort. It's all I can do not to lean on him right now, but I know it's not appropriate. I need to be in the zone for Joel, regardless of what we are or aren't.

The door opens and a Summer from Joel's work walks in. I watch Monica and her exchange a quick glance before she perches opposite my Mum. The two of them smile at each other.

She must be here to visit, I remember seeing something from one of them on social media, but I was far too busy to respond.

I smile at her and she sits at the table. I want to ask her what she's doing here, but a nurse appears through the door just as I take a breath.

"Mrs Watkins?" The nurse's blue scrubs have stains of blood on them, and as I stand to attention, my heart stops.

That can't be Joel's blood... there was no blood involved.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Your husband is fine," she says.

My heart kicks off again to the beat of relief.