FORTY-FOUR

══════════════════

══════════════════

T W O    M O N T H S     L A T E R  -  J U N E    2 0 1 9

══════════════════

They say the grass is always greener on the other side: working is always better than school or being lonely is better than being in a relationship. I suppose when you get the things you want, the thing you had is always better, or at least you miss what you had: school was better because you don't have the responsibility and it's not as much work. Being in a relationship means you have someone to cuddle up to at night rather than the vast expanse of the empty mattress beside you.

For me, the grass is exceptionally greener on the side I fled to. Being in an empty marriage that was forced on me was soul-draining, and I didn't even realise it until I peeked over the fence. Keeping in contact with my mother was damaging my mental health and while I knew it, I was nowhere near that fence on the other side until recently. The gatekeeper was Nick, and the moment he opened it for me was liberating. I've learnt how to be a lone wolf while growing and blossoming with him by my side.

"Honey, you're home!" Nick greets me when I walk through the door. I can smell the pure brilliance of dinner: roasting pork, potatoes... gravy...

"Are you cooking a roast dinner?" I ask, kissing his lips with much more hunger than I thought I could ever have.

"Just for you," he announces, kissing the tip of my nose. "My daisy. How was work?"

"It was all right," I answer. "Tiring!"

"Welcome to the wonderful world of healthcare work. You'll get used to it; you'll be a pro by the time you get to be a student nurse. Trust me, you'll be fine," he says.

I groan. "Yeah, but to do that, I need to finish my dissertation and I just want to die."

The one word. The trigger word.

We both glance at each other. Georgina. Joel.

My eyes dart to the side where that envelope with my name on it still sits, two months later. I've purposefully been avoiding it and refuse to read it.

Why in the world did I say that?

Instead of saying something awkward, Nick chuckles. "Welcome back to the adult world, my young daisy—"

"You're one year older than me. Shove it!" I scoff, acting like I never said it. It seems to have skipped over us, and I'm thankful. I didn't even think about it, but maybe it's a sign. A sign that we're both getting there.

I see the food sitting on the table and instantly sink into my chair. He brings two glasses of wine and sits opposite me. I don't hesitate in tucking in and savouring food, glorious food.